Applying for the live-in caregiver program: How to go about it

The Live-in Caregiver program is a temporary foreign worker program designed by the Canadian government to help Canadians hire foreign caregivers to live and work in their homes. Live-in caregivers are those individuals who are qualified to provide care for children, the elderly persons or persons with disabilities in private homes without much supervision. Live-in caregivers are required to live in the private home when they work in Canada. There are a lot of requirements to be able to qualify for this particular program, where both the employer and employee must meet these requirements.

These requirements include:

  • Before hiring you, the prospective employer must apply to the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), for a comprehensive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to be conducted. This is where the ESDC will assess your employment offer and employment contract to make sure it meets the set standards of wages and working conditions as set by the government.
  • There is a binding legal requirement for you and your future employer to sign a detailed employment contract. The employment contract must be submitted with your work permit and the employment contract must have descriptions of; transportation to Canada from your country of residence, medical insurance coverage, holiday and sick leave arrangements, job description, hours of work and termination and resignation terms, just to mention a few.
  • The applicant must have completed secondary or High school education that is equivalent to Canadian High School education. This requirement also helps if the foreign worker decides to choose and apply for permanent residency and to generally succeed in the Canadian labor market.
  • The applicant must have successfully completed 6 months of caregiver training in a professional classroom setting. This ensures that the caregiver is knowledgeable of the job requirements and work skills to fulfil the role.
  • The candidate should be able to speak, read, and understand English and/or French, this is to make sure that the caregiver can communicate efficiently and can work independently without supervision.
  • The foreign worker should have work experience of one year in a formal workplace. This work experience should have been obtained in the last three years, and the caregiver will be required to provide sufficient reference letters that he/she indeed processes the said work experience.

Live-in caregivers are presented with a work permit of 3 years, once they have been successful in their application, they will work full time in a private home where they will be provided with a furnished room within the home. Once the caregiver has worked for two years in Canada they can now apply for permanent residence status in the country.