How to Apply for a Student Visa in Canada from New Zealand

Coming from an established country like New Zealand, you’d probably think that Canada does not have much to offer you in terms of opportunity and quality – let us inform you that you are wrong in that assumption. Canada has tons of opportunities for young people looking to enrich their lives and there is no better place than to study than in one of the vibrant cities of Canada.

How to apply

Applying for a Canadian study permit is very simple. All that is required from you is to have a secure online connection. The first thing you need to do is weigh your options on which schools you would like to attend and then apply to the ones of your choosing. Once you have received confirmation of acceptance from a designated learning institution in Canada, then you can proceed to applying for your student permit.

Documents you’ll need:

  • Proof of acceptance (letter of acceptance from the designated learning institution)
  • Proof of identity (ID, valid passport or travel documents and two recent passport-size photos of you)
  • Proof of financial support (bank documentation and proof of payment of fees)
  • Letter of explanation (statement detailing which course you will be pursuing in Canada)

After Application

The processing times for each application may differ so it is important that you constantly monitor the progress of your application after it has been submitted. If it is approved, you will be issued a letter of introduction to confirming the approval and this will need to be presented to the immigration officials upon your arrival to Canada.

In addition to this, you also need to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization which will be linked to your passport and valid for 5 years.

Your permit is also subject to certain conditions which we have outlined below:

  • the educational level you are permitted to study at;
  • that you must remain enrolled at a designated learning institution;
  • that you must continue making progress toward completing your program;
  • if you are allowed to work in Canada;
  • whether you need to report for a medical examination, observation or treatment;
  • if your travel within Canada is restricted
  • when you must leave Canada.

Work while you study

Make the most of your time in Canada by applying for a job or apprenticeship while you complete your studies in the country. This could prove to be beneficial as it allows you to earn an income as well as gain the necessary work experience in order to make it out there in the long run. All you need is your Social Insurance Number which you can obtain through Service Canada and thereafter you can seek employment.

Don’t want to leave?

You don’t have to! Should you want to continue your studies post-graduation, you can also apply for a post-graduation permit and stay in the country for a while longer. Please note that when your permit expires. You will not be able to stay in the country any longer and therefore should you like to immigrate to Canada fully, we suggest you apply for permanent residence to fully become a member of Canadian society.