Cost of living Charlottetown, Nova Scotia
If you migrate to Canada, you need to know what the largest industries are in terms of Charlottetown’s job market. Charlottetown’s major industries fall under healthcare and social services which make up 10% of the job market. The education industry is also key component, accounting for 8%, while the field of retail sits at 13%.
As Charlottetown has changed over the years, it has begun to focus more on government services and hospitality, since the province is not naturally rich in mineral resources, although 30% of Canada’s potato produce comes from the PEI.
Most jobs in Charlottetown are therefore services based, because of a lack of natural resources, beyond the PEI fishing industry.
In Charlottetown you can expect to earn an average salary of C$45,840 a year.
Affordable Housing in Charlottetown, Canada
Think you want to buy your own house when you migrate to Canada? Then you must know how much it could cost you in Charlottetown, Canada.
The average house in Charlottetown goes for $219,000, with an apartment costing $289,000 on average. Charlottetown is also one of the cheapest places to buy a house in Canada.
- A typical 2 bedroom house can cost you $172,500 in Charlottetown, Canada
- A typical 3 bedroom house can cost you $189,000 in Charlottetown, Canada
- A typical 4 bedroom house can cost you $269,000 in Charlottetown, Canada
- A typical 1 bedroom apartment can cost you $205,500 in Charlottetown, Canada
- A typical 2 bedroom apartment can cost you $223,500 in Charlottetown, Canada
- A typical 3 bedroom apartment can cost you $439,000 in Charlottetown, Canada
Charlottetown has a variety of housing options to suit your budget and with some of the lowest housing prices, it can help should you ever want to migrate to Canada.
Comparing Charlottetown, Canada Rent Prices To Other Major Cities, If You Migrate To Canada
- Rent prices in Charlottetown are 6% lower than in Toronto;
- Rent prices in Charlottetown are 13% lower than in Montreal;
- Rent prices in Charlottetown are 146% lower than in Vancouver;
- Rent prices in Charlottetown are 24% lower than in Winnipeg;
- Rent prices in Charlottetown are 34% lower than in Ottawa;
- Rent prices in Charlottetown are 58% lower than in Calgary;
- Rent prices in Charlottetown are 12% lower than in Edmonton; and
- Rent prices in Charlottetown are 24% lower than in Hamilton
If you plan to rent in Charlottetown here is how much it would cost:
- An average 1 bedroom apartment in Halifax costs $820 a month; and
- An average 2 bedroom apartment in Halifax costs $850 a month
Why should you migrate to canada? Charlottetown is an unique and steadily growing market, thanks in part to the growth of its service industries like tourism, healthcare and education. Meaning that Charlottetown housing and rental prices make it an ideal spot to move to, because it lowers average monthly costs.
Average Grocery Prices in Charlottetown, Canada
When you move to Canada, you must know how much you can expect to spend when you buy your basic groceries in Charlottetown, Canada. Check out our shopping cart, and see how much the basics can cost.
Basic Perishable Food Items
- Milk (1 liter): C$2.40
- Loaf of fresh white bread: C$2.10
- Eggs (12): C$3.80
- Tomatoes: C$5.40
- Apples (1kg): C$4.00
- Local cheese (500g): C$9.00
- Chicken breasts 1kg (boneless): C$9.00
- Potatoes (1kg): C$1.50
Restaurant And Cafe Meals
- A meal at a inexpensive restaurant: C$18.00
- A pub meal: C$22.50
- Cappuccino at a Cafe: C$4.23
- Domestic (0.5l) draught beer: C$5.47
Clothing and Shoes
- A pair of branded jeans : C$71
- A pair of branded sport shoes: C$124
- A pair of men’s leather business shoes: C$129
- A branded summer dress: C$50
Public Primary and Secondary School in Charlottetown, Canada
If you migrate to Canada to study either as a parent or an international student, there are a few things you should know. Firstly that all children from the ages of 5 to 16 must attend school.
Secondly that all public education from primary to secondary school is free for all children. So if you qualify as a permanent resident of Canada, you or your children can have access to free public schooling, although this does not apply to university.
Childcare in Charlottetown, Canada
If you want to hire aftercare for your child in Charlottetown, Canada you can expect to pay on average:
- C$ 738 a month (infant) for a full time licensed professional;
- C$ 608 a month (toddler) for a full time licensed professional; and
- C$ 586 a month (Preschooler) for a full time licensed professional
Tertiary Education in Charlottetown, Canada
Do you plan to study in Canada in the future? Then why not choose Charlottetown to get access to the renowned Canadian education system? Charlottetown could be the town for you!
If you are looking to study as an international student in Canada, there is the University of Prince Edward Island, made up of four faculties to choose from, ranging from arts, education, science, and veterinary medicine.
UPEI also offers a unique exchange program to help internationalize the student body. The university president stated that, “Our priority at UPEI is to position our graduates for success in a rapidly changing world.” So if you are looking to migrate to Canada in the future as a student, you might consider taking a look at the UPEI campus.
Here is what you can expect to pay for a full time International Undergraduate BA Degree at UPEI
- International tuition: C$6,030
- Education fee (Library access, Administration etc): C$356
- Student union fees (international student healthcare insurance and dental plan): C$1,050
- Transit pass: C$50
After you successfully complete your Canadian studies you could qualify for the Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), which allows you to gain additional Canadian work experience that may help you become a permanent resident in Canada in the future.
Transportation in Charlottetown, Canada
If you want to get around Charlottetown, there are a number of buses that run from Cornwall, to Stratford every Monday to Friday, as well as local taxi services.
Charlottetown Bus Fares
- One ticket = C$2.25
- Children under 6 = free
- Adult monthly pass = C$63.00
Taxi Fares in Charlottetown, Canada
- Taxi tariff for 1km = C$0.9
Private Transport in Charlottetown, Canada
- Gasoline (1/4 gallon) = C$1.16
- Volkswagen Golf 1.4 TSI 150 CV (or equivalent), with no extras = C$30,935