Canada Sets Amazing New Immigration Targets For 2021! Learn More

Falling under the Express Entry System as of January 1, 2015, the Federal Skilled Worker Program is now part of this new fast-track immigration process. The labour shortage in Canada has created a golden opportunity for those wishing to make a new life in the country. As part of the Express Entry system, you will be able to live as a permanent resident in Canada if your profile is selected from the pool of candidates.

The Federal Skilled Worker Visa is designed for individuals who have the qualifications, skills or experiences to fill Canada's skill shortages.

Applicants to the Federal Skilled Worker Program must demonstrate that they meet the minimum visa requirements. These include having work experience in a managerial, skilled, or semi-skilled occupation and meeting the pass mark on a points-based assessment. Successful applicants will obtain Canadian permanent residence, which entitles them to live and work in Canada with fewer restrictions. Canadian permanent residents may also be eligible for Canadian citizenship.

Ready to see if you qualify? Let's take a closer look at:

Permanent Residency for Skilled Workers

Worker explaining idea to coworkers from notes

It is easier for skilled workers and professionals to become permanent residents in the country of their choice because their education and work experience assist them in finding work. Large numbers of people retire in Canada every year, which means their need for skilled manpower is growing tremendously. A whole new world awaits skilled workers and professionals wanting to work in Canada.

Canada is the land of immense opportunities. The bountiful maple leaf country is home to multicultural individuals from across the world. Known for its cultural and environmental diversity, Canada is where the heart is at peace. Canada has one of the most vibrant economies in the world and its employment sector is booming. This makes the country the most sought after destination for skilled workers and professionals.

Canada is on the lookout for young, self-motivated, well-educated, and skilled workers and professionals to contribute to its economic growth. Due to its knowledge-based economy, the country is seeking job-ready professionals who can adapt to and fulfill the requirements of the rapidly changing job market. The Canada skilled worker visa is the life-changing reward for all hardworking skilled workers and professionals looking to make a living in the maple country.

Employment Prospects

The immigration authority of Canada introduces reforms from time to time to help make the process hassle-free and transparent for deserving people. The focus has shifted to choosing skilled workers and professionals who have flexible and manageable skills because these are required in order to be successful in the effervescent economy of Canada. A solid platform for success in Canada is built on work experience, English proficiency, and other relevant skills.

The Canadian unemployment rate is low. In order to get a job here, Canada offers the fast track Express Entry System and PNP-linked Express Entry streams in Ontario, Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan, and New Brunswick. The country also offers the Federal Skilled Worker Program and Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP) in the provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan, and many others. Getting a work permit is a lot easier for the people who meet the comprehensive ranking system requirements.

Professionals in High Demand

A skilled worker using a welding machine to weld metal structure

Engineers (Civil, Mechanical, Software & Petroleum), Technicians, Teachers, Professors and Lecturers, Nurses, Healthcare Practitioners, IT, Salespersons and Marketers, Bankers, Insurance Providers, and Adjusters, Accountants, Trades Persons and many more are in high demand in the country. Visit our blog here to find out where your occupation is in demand in Canada.

Immigration to Canada is readily available to individuals who have the right skillset. In this progressive country, they can raise their standard of living.

How to Qualify for the Program

To become eligible for a Canadian Skilled Worker Visa, under Express Entry, you will be assessed on the following factors:

  • your skills in English and/or French (Canada's two official languages);
  • your education;
  • your work experience;
  • your age;
  • whether you have a valid job offer; and
  • your adaptability (how well you are likely to settle in Canada)

Eligibility Criteria

In order to qualify for a Canadian Immigration Visa for permanent residency as a Canadian Federal Skilled Worker applicant, you must:

  • have a minimum of one year of uninterrupted full time (or equivalent) work experience in the past 10 years under a skilled occupations skill type (O, A, B); or
  • have arranged employment (job offered by a Canadian employer) with regard to the Labour Market Impact Assessment criteria;
  • have completed two years of study in Canada towards a PhD or completed a PhD in Canada from a recognized Canadian institution; and
  • pass the language ability exam for one of Canada’s two official languages – English and French

How to Apply

Federal Skilled Worker Program infographic | immigrate to Canada

1. Expression of Interest

If you fulfill the above-mentioned eligibility criteria under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you must first make an Expression of Interest (EOI) for immigrating to Canada and create an online profile for it. You must provide information about your age, work experience, skills, language ability, education, qualifications, and other personal information as required. Once your qualification is confirmed by Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), you are placed in a pool of candidates and are ranked according to the Comprehensive Ranking System.

2. Improve Your Ranking Under the Comprehensive Ranking System

Candidates who are ranked highest are issued an invitation to apply for Canadian permanent residency when the Government of Canada conducts regular draws from the pool. Therefore, it is best for you as a candidate to improve your score so that you are ranked higher, and your chances of receiving an invitation to apply increases.

3. Invitation to Apply

An Invitation to Apply is issued to those candidates who have been selected to apply for immigration to Canada by IRCC through its Express Entry selection system.

As soon as you receive the invitation, you have a span of 60 days to submit a complete and accurate application form along with all the supporting documents. The submission of a complete application is considered as acceptance to the invitation sent by IRCC. Once all the portions of the document checklist are completed and uploaded, you will receive an Acknowledgment of Receipt (AOR) issued by IRCC who will then further review your application and determine your eligibility for the program.

4. Medical Examination and Security Check

A medical examination is mandatory for all applicants. It includes a standard physical exam, blood tests, urine tests, and X-rays. These are conducted to check applicants for any kind of medical condition that may pose a risk to citizens of Canada.

With over 100 Canadian immigration programs and visas to choose from, why not enlist the services of a qualified and accredited immigration consultancy and make the visa application process simpler and stress-free?  Our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) will take care of all the paperwork so that you don't have. Simply complete our contact form and one of our friendly agents will contact you to help you through the application process and start your eligibility assessment.