Situated in the south-central part of Canada, Manitoba is a Canadian Prairie province known for its famous capital city: Winnipeg. The province is bordered by Ontario to the east and Nunavut and the Northwest Territories to the north.

There are over 1.2 million people living in the province with nearly 60% calling the capital city their home. The remaining 40% are sparsely distributed throughout the 647,797 km² province. The climate is Continental, meaning cold winters and warm summers.

Cost of living in Manitoba

Living costs in Manitoba are some of the most affordable in Canada, with housing prices sitting at an average of $273,000 and auto insurance, electricity, university or college tuition and more all available at some of the lowest costs in Canada. High quality public health care is available free to residents.


Agriculture, mining, manufacturing, forestry, and tourism are the main economic hubs. Interestingly, Manitoba is a leading producer of sunflower seeds, beans and potatoes, and is home to McCain Foods, the supplier of French Fries to McDonalds, Wendy’s and many other commercial chains. Manitoba is considered to be a flourishing province and is also well known for its music scene. There are many job opportunities available for immigrants, especially in agriculture.


With over half of the population of Manitoba living in Winnipeg, residents can expect to hear a range of over 40 languages spoken throughout the city. English is the official language with most services offered in both English and French.

Demographically, the population is made up of English (22.1%), German (19.1%), Scottish (18.5%), Ukrainian (14.7%), Irish (13.4%), Aboriginal (10.6%), Polish (7.6%), French (5.6%), Dutch (4.9%), Russian (4.0%), and Other (6.4%). The dominant religion is Roman Catholic, followed by Protestant, Jewish, Muslim, Sikh, Buddhist, Hindu, and Aboriginal Spirituality. Around 18% claim no religious affiliation at all. Interestingly, Manitoba has the second largest population of Icelandic people after Iceland.


Manitoba places great emphasis on providing quality higher education. There are 5 universities in Manitoba, with 4 of them located in Winnipeg. The oldest university in Western Canada is situated here and remains the only French-speaking university in the province: Universitè de Saint-Boniface.

Manitoba Attractions

Manitoba has many music and concert halls, theaters, museums, and exhibits, predictably, mostly in Winnipeg. The only activities not centered in Winnipeg are camping, hiking, hunting and fishing. With numerous lakes, rivers and open territories, the opportunities are limitless. Manitoba offers great fishing for Walleye, Trout, and Northern Pike and there is a good chance of spotting Black Bear, Moose, Caribou, and more.

Manitoba is a great place to consider for your relocation, as it provides its citizens with a great atmosphere, magical attractions and an impressive education system. It is also rich in resources and boasts a wonderfully diverse population.

Manitoba Nominee Programs

The Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP) offers three ways in which the province and potential candidates may immigrate to Manitoba, both through Express Entry and outside Express Entry.

Skilled Worker applicants eligible for a federal economic immigration program
Skilled Worker applicants are also encouraged to apply directly to MPNP
MPNP nominate applicants directly through the existing skilled worker and business categories

Contact us if you want to learn more about these programs and find out if you qualify.