Beware of imposters pretending to be us Learn More

Studying in Canada offers a great opportunity for anyone wanting a world-class education while also working. Whether you choose to work on campus at the university or off-campus as an intern, international students can earn money while gaining valuable work experience.

Work on and off Campus

Working without a permit is offered to full-time students at a public post-secondary institution such as a college, university or a private post-secondary institution operating under the same rules and regulations as a public institution. You must have a valid study permit and a SIN (Social Insurance number) to qualify. Working off campus as an intern can give you valuable experience in your field of interest. As a study permit holder, you can work up to 20 hours per week during the term and work full-time during your holidays, though you must be a full-time student.

Work as an Intern

Some academic programs require that you gain work experience as part of the curriculum. In this case, you will need to apply for a work permit as well as a study permit. To qualify, you will need to make sure that your intended employment is an essential part of your study program and you must obtain a certified letter from a responsible academic official of the institution. Unfortunately, you will not qualify if you study English or French as a second language (ESL or FSL) and if you participate in general interest or preparatory courses.

Help Your Spouse Find a Job While You Study

Canada has also made it possible to bring your spouse or common-law partner along for your study journey. If you are a full-time student with a valid study permit at a public post-secondary institution or private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution, you may qualify. Your partner will have access to an open work permit, which means that they do not need a job offer to move to Canada. They will have the opportunity to apply for a job in Canada and work for as long as the course is running.