Canada's Temporary Visas

Caregiver Visa

The Canadian Caregiver program is a very popular and widely used immigration program. The program allows applicants to come to Canada to work either as a home child care provider with a Canadian family or a caregiver for people with special needs. Caregivers in Canada are allowed to apply for permanent residence after two years of employment in Canada.


Working Holiday Visa

Each year Canada agrees to a quota of visas with each country that holds a Working Visa Holiday agreement with Canada. The Working Holiday Visa permits you to work, live, and travel in Canada for 12 months, (more for certain countries). To be eligible for the Working Holiday Visa you need to be 18-35 years old (depending on the country), have no criminal record, and own a valid passport.


Canada welcomes you as a tourist, student, or temporary worker. Every year, more than 30 million people visit Canada to enjoy the many opportunities Canada has to offer.

Depending on the country you are coming from and the reason for your visit, you will need to meet certain entry requirements. In some cases, if you plan to stay in Canada for a certain period of time, you will need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

A Temporary Resident Visa Is Needed for the Following Purposes:

Visit – If you plan to stay in Canada for a certain period of time, you may need to apply for a Temporary Visa
Study – Studying in Canada requires you to have a study permit or a temporary visa
Work – A work permit is needed for most temporary jobs in Canada. (You may not need a work permit in some cases)

There are two types of Temporary Resident Visas: a single entry visa and a multiple entry visa. Temporary Resident Visas are valid for a fixed period of time, whether they are a single entry visa or a multiple entry visa. You cannot use a visa after its expiry date.

Single Entry Temporary Visas

A single entry visa allows you to enter Canada once.

When you arrive at the point of entry in Canada, an officer of the Canada Border Services Agency will make sure you meet the requirements to enter Canada. The officer will authorize your stay by placing a stamp in your passport or issuing an additional document, or both.

If there is no stamp, handwritten date or document in your passport, your temporary resident status will expire six months from the day you arrived in Canada. If you were given a visitor record, student, or work permit, the expiry date is marked on the document. 

If you leave Canada during your authorized stay, you must get a new visitor visa to re-enter Canada. However, you can visit the United States or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon and return to Canada without getting a new visa, as long as you:

Return within the initial period authorized by the immigration officer; or
Have a valid visitor record, work permit, study permit, or a temporary resident permit (authorizing re-entry) and return within the initial period authorized by the officer.

Multiple Temporary Visas

A multiple entry visa allows you to enter Canada several times during the period while your visa is valid.

A multiple entry visa is valid for a maximum of ten years or one month prior to the expiry date on the passport or re-entry visa, whichever is earlier.

If a multiple entry visa is approved, it will allow you to enter and leave Canada repeatedly during the validity period of the visa. You must arrive in Canada on or before the expiry date on your visa. You cannot get a multiple entry visa for a period that ends after the expiry date of your passport. If your passport will expire soon, you should renew it before you apply for your visa.

If you want to visit several other countries or return to your own country before coming back to Canada, you will need a multiple entry visa. If you plan to visit Canada frequently, a multiple entry visa is also recommended.

Want to learn more about Canada? Subscribe to our newsletter and get an e-book on Canadian immigration filled with mesmerizing sights of Canada!

Please enter a valid phone number.

CanadianVisa.org is a private recognized immigration agent and is not affiliated with the Canadian Government.
Privacy policy