Caregiver Visa

Live-in caregivers, who are qualified to provide care for children, the elderly or people with disabilities in private homes without supervision, must meet certain requirements to be eligible for the Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP) in Canada. These requirements include:

1. A positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from an employer in Canada

Before an employer can hire a Caregiver he/she must:

  • Apply to Employment and Social Development Canada/Service Canada (ESDC/SC) to have his or her suggested job offer reviewed.
  • Receive a positive Labour Market Assessment (LMIA) from the ESDC/SC.

The ESDC/SC will assess the employers job offer and the employment contract to be sure that it meets certain requirements. This includes an assessment of wages, working conditions, provincial labour and employment standards as well as ensuring that there are not currently enough Canadians or permanent residents available to work as live-in caregivers in Canada. If the ESDC/SC finds the job offer acceptable, they will issue a positive LMIA to the employer.

2. A written contract from the future employer, signed by the employee and the employer

The employee and the employer are legally required to both sign a written employment contract. The employee must submit the signed contract with a work permit application, which is the same employment contract submitted to the ESDC/SC by the employer. The only time they can be different is if there is a good reason, for example – a new start date.

3. A successful completion of the equivalent of a Canadian secondary school education

The employee (caregiver) must have successfully completed the equivalence of Canadian High School education (secondary school). Because of the vast difference in schooling systems across Canada, it is not possible to give a precise number of years needed. In most provinces in Canada, it takes twelve years of schooling to obtain a Canadian high school diploma, therefore an immigration officer assessing your application will let you know what is needed.

4.At least six months training or at least one year of full-time paid work experience as a caregiver or role in a related field or occupation (including six months with one employer) in the past three years.

To claim work experience, one needs to have worked for at least one year, including at least six months of continuous employment for the same employer. This work experience must be in the field or occupation specific to what you will do as a live-in caregiver. This experience must also have been acquired within the three years before the day on which the caregiver makes an application for the work permit as a caregiver.

5. Good knowledge of the English or French Language

The Caregiver must be able to speak, read and understand either English or French so that they can function on their own in the employers home. For example, the caregiver must be able to call emergency services if they are needed and understand labels on medications, because the caregiver will be unsupervised for most of the day.

6. Getting a work permit before you enter Canada

To be a live-in caregiver, you must make an application for an initial live-in caregiver work permit at a visa office outside of Canada.

If the application is successful, you will receive a letter of introduction from the Canadian visa office responsible for the area in which you live. You will need to present this letter to the Boarder Services Officer upon arrival in Canada in order to obtain your work permit.

Do you want to come to Canada? At we make applying for your visa simple. Fill out the form above and one of our account managers will call you to begin your Canadian visa application process.





phone number
I speak: