Canadian Immigration for Doctors

Are you a qualified doctor who graduated outside of Canada? Are you looking to make one of the thirteen provinces or territories of Canada your new home? Now you can! 

Learn about Canadian Immigration for doctors using these simple steps.

  • STEP 1: Have an approved medical degree from a university that is listed in the World Directory of Medical school
  • STEP 2: Apply and qualify for a Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada;
  • STEP 3: Pass a one-year post-graduate program under a medical authority in the province
  • STEP 4: Get an official certification from the:
    • College of Family Physicians of Canada;
    • The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada; or
    • The College des Medecins du Quebec

Find Out if you Have a Recognized Medical Qualification

There is a very easy way to do this, simply go on the World Directory of Medical Schools website, enter in details, like the country you received your qualification from and the name of your university as shown below.

medical school directory

If your university is an accepted medical institution, it will show up in the results. Please note that a Canadian Sponsor Note from your university must also be included in your application.

Get Approval from the Medical Council of Canada

You will have to become familiar with the Medical Council of Canada or MCC. You will need a qualification called the Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada.

medical council of Canada

Requirements for a Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada:

Pass the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examinations, these examinations are broken into two parts Part 1 and 2; and
Complete at least 12 months of postgraduate training

Please note that getting approval from the MCC does not mean that you can practice in Canada!

You can take Part 1 of the MCCQE exam before you move to Canada, but you must be in the country for Part 2.

After passing all your MCCQE exams, you will still need the approval of the Medical Regulatory Authorities in the province or territory you wish to apply for.

Here is a list of medical authorities in Canada and where you can find them.

Province/Territory Medical Regulatory Authority Contact Details
Alberta College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta 780-423-4764
British Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia 1-800-461-3008
Manitoba College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba (877) 774-4344 or
New Brunswick College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick (506) 849-5050 or 1-800-667-4641
Newfoundland & Labrador College of Physicians and Surgeons of Newfoundland & Labrador (709) 726-8546 or
Northwest Territories Government of the Northwest Territories 867) 767-9000
Nunavut Nunavut Department of Health and Social Services Medical Registration Committee 1-877-212-6438 or
Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario +1 800-268-7096 or
Prince Edward Island College of Physicians and Surgeons of Prince Edward Island (902) 566 – 3861
Québec College des médecins du Québec 1 888 MÉDECIN (633-3246) or
Saskatchewan College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan (306) 244-7355 or
Yukon Yukon Medical Council (867) 667.3774 or

Fees for the Application

medical costs

Please note that there will be a fee to confirm your medical degree by the MCC.

If you plan to immigrate to Canada as a doctor, you should also be aware of other costs involved so that you can budget appropriately. Here are some estimates of the costs you can expect to pay.

  • Degree verification CAD$215;
  • Translation fee CAD$181 per page;
  • ECA report CAD$137;
  • Application fee for MCCEE CAD$2,365;
  • Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE) Part I CAD$1,598; and
  • Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE) Part II CAD$3,340

There are certain organizations you can register with to help submit and store your documents, like You can learn more about the documentation submission process in the video below.

IELTS and TEF Exams for Doctors

In some cases, you will have to prove that your English and/or French language abilities are good enough to work with patients.

This can be done through verified and accepted language exams like IELTS for English and TEF for French. You will get a score based on your proficiency in speaking, listening, writing, and reading in those languages.

people writing exams

Work Experience

At some point in the application process, you will be asked to prove you have valid work experience.

You will most likely have to supply a letter of employment from your previous employer.

This document generally includes the following:

Hours worked;
Work responsibilities;
NOC (National Occupational Classification) title;
Current salary;
Contact details of the employer; and
The letterhead of your company

Where to Begin Canadian Immigration for Doctors

There are certain programs designed specifically for trained medical doctors like the:

  • British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP); and
  • Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP)

If you want to start the application process, apply with us today. Click here to learn more about Canadian immigration for doctors today.