COVID-19 UPDATE: Canada Welcomes Vaccinated Residents for Travel as of Sep 7, 2021. - LEARN MORE

Spousal and Family Sponsorship

How to Sponsor Your Spouse, Common-Law Partner, Conjugal Partner or Dependent Child in Canada

How to Become a Sponsor in Canada

You can become a sponsor in Canada if you are:

  • a Canadian citizen;
  • at least 18 years of age; and
  • live in Canada

Can You Sponsor Someone in Canada If You Do Not Live in Canada?

It is not possbile to sponsor someone to live in Canada if you are not living in the country at the time. Even if you are a permanent resident of Canada, you must be in the country when you sponsor someone.

You must also prove that you qualify as a sponsor by showing you can provide:

  • For yourself;
  • For your spouse/partner; and
  • For your or your spouse’s dependents

When Can You Not Sponsor Someone in Canada?

You cannot apply to be a sponsor in Canada if you:

  • Receive social assistance (this does not include social disability);
  • Have sponsored someone else within 3 years of becoming a permanent resident in Canada;
  • Have defaulted on an immigration loan or performance bond;
  • Have not paid alimony or child support (if applicable);
  • Have been convicted of a crime;
  • Were sponsored yourself and became a permanent resident of Canada less than 5 years ago;
  • Are in a jail, reformatory, prison; or
  • Are under a removal order

Who Can You Sponsor to Live in Canada?

You can sponsor your:

  • Spouse;
  • Common-law partner;
  • Conjugal partner
  • Dependent child

Depending on who you sponsor, the documents you need to apply with may change:

  • If you sponsor your conjugal partner or dependent child, you can apply for Family Class; and
  • If you sponsor your spouse or common-law partner, apply for either Family Class or the Spouse or Common-Law Partner Class.
Want to learn more about Canada? Subscribe to our newsletter and get an e-book on Canadian immigration filled with mesmerizing sights of Canada!

Please enter a valid phone number.