Work While Your Spouse Studies in Canada

Over 100 000 international students from all over the world come to Canada each year to obtain a high-quality post-secondary education. Canada’s friendly immigration policy allows the spouse and any minors to accompany them to Canada to work and study, where everyone can benefit from the Canadian experience.    

Spouse or Common-Law partner

Canada’s commitment to family unification means that international students and their families have the opportunity to experience Canadian life together. Whether it is for a few months or for several years, you will be comforted to know that their loved ones can be nearby as they pursue their dreams of obtaining a Canadian education. The spouse or common-law partner of an immigrant living in Canada may apply for a study or work permit. If you are looking to study, the following will be necessary: 

  • A public post-secondary institution; or
  • A private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution and receives half of its overall operations budget from government grants; or
  • A private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.

The Application process

At we can process your application if you are thinking of moving to Canada with your common-law partner or spouse. You would need to fill out our contact form, where one of our Account Managers will contact you and answer all questions you may have. You will receive professional guidance as we ensure all applications are submitted on time. 

If you are already in Canada studying and wish to invite your family member(s) to join you, you can support their Visitor’s Visa application by sending the following documents for them to send to us: 

1. Letter of Invitation

You can write a letter of invitation to your family member's behalf. Be sure to include the following information:

  • Your relative’s name (in English and in your language), their address, and their telephone number.
  • Your relative’s date of birth.
  • Your name, address, and telephone number (home and office) in Canada.
  • An invitation to your relative to join you in Canada and information about how long you wish them to remain.

2. Your Current Status Documents

  • A copy of your Work Permit.
  • A copy of your Study Permit (if you have one).
  • A Confirmation of Enrolment Letter from your registrar’s office.

3. Information about Financial Support (required only if inviting a spouse or child to come to stay with you during your studies):

  • A copy of the last four months of your bank statements.
  • A letter describing any scholarship you may have and its specific amount.
  • A letter indicating the amount you are paid for work if you have a job in Canada. 
  • A letter from a sponsor (if you have one) that includes information about their financial circumstances.
  • Documents describing any other source of financial support you have.

Read: The Top Universities in Canada


Any person under the age of majority is considered to be a minor child. ?? The age of the majority varies by province. In Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and Saskatchewan, the age of majority is 18, while in British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, and Yukon it is age 19.

Minors who are already in Canada with at least one parent are allowed to work and study in Canada without a study permit to attend school at the pre-school, primary, or secondary levels. However, once the child reaches the age of majority in their province, he or she must apply for a study permit to continue their studies in Canada.   

Young Indian child holding the Canadian flag

It is highly recommended that you send an invitation letter and the other documents to your family member even if they are coming from a country whose citizens do not require a visa to enter Canada. Upon arrival, immigration officers usually ask visitors about the purpose of their visit, having the invitation letter from you, and the other documents can facilitate their entry.