FAQs: 7 Need to Know Secrets to Apply for a Working Holiday Visa in Canada

Are you familiar with the heart-wrenching feeling of a holiday coming to an end? Well, there’s actually a solution to that problem. You can have a holiday for up to two years without worrying about your funds running out. The working holiday visa was introduced working holiday visa that was introduced for avid travellers and adventure seekers to travel and work in Canada. This eliminates having to save up for years before you can set your foot abroad simply by going to apply for a working holiday visa in Canada.

7 Things You Need To Know About Applying For A Working Holiday Visa

1. Where does the Working Holiday Visa come from?

The Working Holiday Visa (WHV) forms part of the International Experience Canada (IEC). There are three IEC categories, these categories are:

  • Working Holiday Visa: a program for young individuals who want to work abroad and explore Canada
  • Young Professionals Program: a program for young professionals who want to gain international experience.
  • International Co-op Internship Program: a program for students interested in working abroad and gaining international experience.

2. How Can You Apply for a Working Holiday Visa?

The Working Holiday Visa is a great opportunity for those who want to experience life in Canada and explore the country. It’s also a good way to get experience in your chosen field while building up your resume.

There are many steps that need to be taken before you can apply for a Working Holiday Visa in Canada. The first step is to find out if you meet the requirements, which are:

  • Your passport must be valid;
  • Be a part of the 35 countries that are taking part;
  • 18-35 years old (in certain countries, 30 years old is the cut-off);
  • $2,500 for the start-up costs;
  • Health-care coverage;
  • Certificate of police clearance;
  • A round-trip ticket or enough cash to cover one; and
  • There are no dependents


The application is a three-step process that begins with the creation of an online profile and ends with the submission of an application. The steps are as follows:

Step 1: Create an online profile where you will be asked questions based on certain topics.

Step 2: Your profile will be entered into the draw, and if you’re successful you’ll get an invitation. Within 10 days of receiving your invitation, you must complete your profile.

Step 3: After acquiring your ITA, you have to apply within 20 days or the ITA will expire.

3. What is the Working Holiday Visa?

The Working Holiday Visa is a type of visa that lets young adults between the ages of 18 - 35 stay in and work in Canada from over 30 countries for up to 24 months. It's also a good alternative to a tourist visa.

This visa allows you to experience a new culture and live in a different country for up to two years. The Working Holiday Visa is ideal for young foreigners who want to travel for a long time. They might be looking for something different after graduating from school.

4. Which countries can apply for a Working Holiday Visa?

There are 35 countries that are eligible for the Working Holiday Visa.

  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Chile
  • Costa Rica
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Korea, Rep.
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • Ukraine
  • United Kingdom

If you're wondering why age plays such a big factor with the WHV, take a look at what RCIC, David Allon has to say:

Question: Why can’t you qualify for a Canadian working holiday visa if you’re over 30 or 35?
Answer: This is part of the agreements Canada signed with specific countries. These visas' main purpose is to give the opportunity for young people from these specific countries the opportunity to travel to Canada, which is not cheap there for they need to find casual work.

5. Where can I work with a Working Holiday Visa?

Your job search can be put off until you arrive in Canada, but you can start looking and planning before you apply for a Working Holiday Visa in Canada. It could make things easier if you check out job prospects and decide on if you want casual, part-time work.

Consider how you want to spend your 12-months in Canada to create a strong strategy and an epic travel schedule that will help you achieve all of your objectives and make the most of your working holiday!

Here are a few ideas on types of jobs you could look at:

Jobs working with horses or harvesting fruit from aromatic orchards are available at farms and ranches. Instructor positions or hotel work at ski resorts; guides and teachers for summer camps; as well as retail and delivery jobs


6. How many times can I apply for a WHV?

You may apply for a WHV permit twice if you live in one of the countries on the list of eligible nations that participate in the IEC agreements. Check your country's official website to determine if it’s possible to do so. It can take up to eight weeks for your application and payment to be processed after you submit it. You may be asked to provide further documentation. The IRCC will issue a Port of Entry Letter to your account if you are approved.

7. How can I stay in Canada after my IEC Working Holiday?

1. Become a student in Canada

Canada is a terrific option for anyone looking to continue their education, as it’s home to some of the world's best universities, as well as remarkable foreign student alumni and low tuition. It's also a fantastic option to stay in Canada after your IEC working holiday and earn a post-secondary certification.

What do we mean by that? Well, a Canadian education opens the door to numerous opportunities, such as a Post-Graduate Work Permit. This is another type of open job permit meant to allow graduates to gather work experience that’ll make it simpler for them to secure permanent residency in Canada. If you wish to make Canada your permanent home, this is the best option for you.

2. Get a visitor visa

If you haven’t gotten around to see everything Canada has to offer, there is a solution. It’s the world's second-largest country, so you'll never be able to see or experience everything in a single visit. There's so much to see and do in Canada, from hiking across the country to exploring the diverse and magnificent landscapes of the country's best national parks to attending that long-awaited music festival.

With a visiting visa, you can cross everything off your vacation bucket list! After your IEC working vacation visa expires, you can stay in Canada for up to six months on a visiting visa. The only drawback? With a visitor visa, you won't be allowed to work in Canada to pay for your travels.

However, if you have sufficient resources to support yourself and your ultimate objective in Canada is to have a good time rather than spend a long time, this is the best option for you.

3. Apply for PR-Status

By looking for stable employment, you can change your temporary visiting status to permanent resident status. While you're in Canada on a working holiday visa, work permit, study permit, or visiting visa, you can start the process of obtaining permanent residency by applying through the Express Entry immigration system for skilled foreign workers.

You can do this either from within Canada or from your home country. The Express Entry system is a points-based system that extends invitations to apply for permanent residency to the candidates with the best scores. The full procedure can be completed in as little as six months!

Helpful Tips Before Going On A Working Holiday

  • Get travel insurance for the duration of your stay;
  • Plan to hire a care or get become familiar with the public transport system;
  • Make sure you have enough funds saved up before your first paycheck comes in;
  • Make sure you have the necessary qualifications for the industry you plan to go into; nursing, teaching, retail
  • Acquire a money-transfer app that is affordable;
  • Get a local sim card;
  • Open up a new bank account in Canada; and
  • Apply for your tax refund at the end of year;

What are you waiting for? This is the perfect way to set foot on foreign soil and explore your dream occupations and apply for a working holiday visa in Canada.