Ontario is one of Canada’s most popular provinces, and as a result, one of the most populous provinces too with over 14 million people residing in it.
Why is this the case compared to the other 12 provinces and territories you may ask? Well, it’s safe to say that Ontario presents a lot of opportunities to foreign skilled workers. For this reason, 139,071 immigrants arrived to live and work in the popular province between July 2019 and June 2020.
Even during the COVID-19 pandemic that is still impacting countries all over the world in 2021, it is very possible to move to Canada with ease, especially since the country has already managed to vaccinate 65percent of its residents. If you want to learn how to immigrate to Ontario in 2021, the process is simpler than you think. All you have to do is ensure that you meet the requirements. Even if you don’t meet them now and you are serious about moving to Canada successfully in the future, you can improve your Comprehensive Ranking Score (CRS) to make it happen.
The Best Immigration Programs in Ontario
With most immigrants choosing Ontario as their province of choice, and Toronto as the top city, if you are planning to move to this vibrant province, you can expect to see diversity in both people and culture. Having over 150 different cultures in the country, you will find something of everything in what’s considered to be one of Canada’s best provinces to live in.
To immigrate to Canada, one of two programs will help you get a visa to live in Ontario faster compared to other programs. These are ranked some of the most popular for foreigners and their families to settle in Ontario, with one of the programs even personalized for the province. The programs include the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) and the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP).
Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program
Since the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program is specific to the province you are applying for permanent residency for, some would argue that it’s the best program or immigration route to choose that will help you get a Canadian visa.
The Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program is a recommended immigration program because it can help you get to Ontario faster, no matter from where you are applying in the world. This program falls under one of over 80 Provincial Nominee Programs that includes three categories to choose from, including:
Human Capital Category
This category consists of three immigration streams that are linked to Express Entry and allow Ontario’s immigration system to look for candidates through the Express Entry pool. Top candidates are handpicked based on their work experience and skills to fulfill shortages in the province’s labour force. These immigration streams are designed for many different types of candidates, which include the following:
1. The Human Capital Priorities Stream is for applicants that have the required skills to live and work in Ontario. Such individuals have complete Express Entry profiles and have over 400 CRS points to show for it.
2. French-Speaking Stream is designed for anyone who has achieved level 7 in the Canadian Language Benchmark in French.
3. Skilled Trades Streams is perfect for someone that has a minimum of 12 months of work experience in one or more skilled trades in Ontario or their province of choice that they rendered in the past two years before their application.
Apart from these three main immigration streams, there are also two more streams for students that fall under the Human Capital Category, both of which were created for international applicants that have graduated from respective tertiary institutions in Ontario and would like to obtain a Canadian visa. These student streams include the following:
1. Master’s Graduate Stream for anyone that is a master’s graduate and that doesn't need to create an Express Entry profile or require a job offer.
2. Ph.D. Graduate Stream for anyone that is a graduate student and that doesn’t need to create an Express Entry profile or require a job offer.
Employer Job Offer Category
If you have a job offer from an employer in Ontario, then this OINP category is the one for you. In this category, three immigration streams exist that include the following:
1. Foreign Worker Stream is one of the best options for someone that wants to fill a skilled role under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) level 0, A, or B. This program also requires you to have graduated from a tertiary program with a qualification in the past two years of the point of application.
2. International Student Stream is another good option for anyone that wants to fill a skilled role under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) level 0, A, or B. This program also requires you to have graduated from a tertiary program with a qualification in the past two years of the point of application.
3. In-Demand Skills Stream is an immigration option for someone that has a job offer under the in-demand occupation list in Ontario or the province of choice.
If you are interested to either start your own business or invest in a Canadian one, the ideal program for you would be one of the following two under the business category:
1. Corporate Stream allows immigrants with an international business to bring it to Ontario or purchase an existing business.
2. Entrepreneur Stream is for anyone that wants to start a new business or buy a Canadian business in Ontario or their province of residence.
Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)
The FSWP is perfect for foreign immigrants that are skilled workers that want to immigrate to Canada. The program was first created with the initiative to boost the economy by filling the gaps of Canadian residents that are retiring in the next few years. The FSWP was necessary to meet the economy’s needs and constant demand for growth. This is one of the biggest reasons why Canada targets 18 to 44-year old skilled workers to get a job and move to Canada.
With this in mind, it’s not to say that no one over the age of 44-years old can’t apply to work and live in Canada. The ratio of foreigners that get accepted and are younger than versus older than is just much bigger.
For the FSWP, there are many requirements you need to meet to qualify. Minimum requirements include having enough work experience in a field that you are skilled enough in to fulfil a job role. With this, you must also have a proper language ability in English or French, along with the necessary qualifications for your job of choice. By meeting these minimum requirements, your application will get assessed with a 100-point grid that considers the following factors:
- Work experience
- Language abilities (English and/ or French)
- Valid job offer
To qualify for the FSWP, you need to score a minimum of 67 points. Given that the program is managed by the Express Entry system, your application is fast-tracked. As soon as you have completed your FSWP application, your next step is to create an Express Entry profile, which will be followed by being scored again, but this time under the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). This will allow you to rank based on your CRS score among other candidates that also want to get a Canadian visa to gain permanent residency in Canada.
If your application is successful during each part of this process, you will receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA), that you have to accept within 60 days to complete your application to get a visa. With this, you will be qualified to live and work in Ontario.
Ontario, the Province for You
With a strong and booming economy in Canada, living in one of its most popular provinces is one of the best decisions you can make when it comes to gaining career opportunities.
Since Ontario is known for its vibrancy, incredible architecture, and city life, it is one of the best places to get the job of your dreams, further your career, and with countless activities, a terrific place to raise a family too.
If you are interested to find out more about how to immigrate to Ontario in 2021 or would like more information on how to proceed on the Ontario Immigrant Nominee or Federal Skilled Worker Program, you can get in touch with a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC).
Want to move to Canada and work in your dream job? It’s possible in as little as just six months! Get Started Today.