Working Holiday Visa IEC in 2020

If you are young and eager for an adventure, a Canadian working holiday is one you will never forget, and may even lead to changing the course of your life. The International Experience Category (IEC) is a visa program for 18 to 35 year old people who want to travel and gain working experience at the same time. You can begin the process by checking if you are eligible, and if you are creating an online profile to enter one of three IEC pools. Your eligibility will be determined by:

  • Country of citizenship;
  • Where you are currently residing and your legal status in that country;
  • If you are currently studying, your student status; and
  • If you have a valid job offer (not required)

So, you’re eligible, you can now create your IEC profile and be entered into one of the pools for a working holiday visa. The pool you enter will be determined by your intended experience in Canada. Now, it is important to keep in mind that while you can only have ONE IEC profile, you can enter into more than one pool. Invitations to Apply are issued in a ranked order, so depending on your intentions it may be in your best interest to apply to more than one pool. Invitations are issued in the following order:

  1. International Co-op (Internship)
  2. Young Professionals
  3. Working Holiday

If you have a valid job offer and are applying to the Young Professionals pool, but there are no spots left, you may still receive an Invitation to Apply for a Working Holiday permit.

International Co-op (Internship)


There is nothing more vital to a new graduate than obtaining real working experience in their field of study. Canada’s growing economy has thousands of exciting young companies that offer experience that will provide you with the tools to compete on a global scale. Further, if you enjoy your experience in Canada to the point where you intend to immigrate permanently and are perhaps offered full time employment, there are pathways offered by the ICCRC to obtain permanent residency. This category is for you if you’re a registered student at a post-secondary institution with a valid job offer for an internship in Canada. This work placement must be in direct correlation to your studies, either to complete them or as an immediate follow on from your graduation. You will be applying for an employer specific work permit under this program so you’ll need to work for the same employer during your stay in Canada.

Young Professionals


Much like the Internship program, the Young Professionals program requires a job offer that is directly linked to your profession. It must be a paid position and you cannot be self employed. The job offer must fall in the National Occupation 0, A or B Categories. If the position you have a job offer for is under the NOC C, you may be eligible for a Young Professional visa if you can provide a post-secondary qualification related to the position with your application. If you are selected from the pool you will also receive an invitation to apply for an employer specific work permit.

Working Holiday


The favourite among young adventurers, this program gives you the ability to fund your vacation with temporary work during your travels. This pool is for you if you don’t have a job offer yet and want to work for more than one employer in various locations during your visit to Canada. Most importantly of all, this program allows you to earn extra money legally while experiencing Canada’s unbelievably beautiful wilderness. If you receive an invitation to apply for a Working Holiday visa, you will be applying for an open work permit, which allows you to work multiple jobs.

A Few Requirements to Apply:

  • A valid passport;
  • $2,500 to cover expenses;
  • A return ticket to your home country or proof of funds to cover one; and
  • Health insurance for the duration of your visit to Canada.

Popular Seasonal Work
There are many farms and orchards that need extra hands for taking care of horses and picking fruit;
Summer camps fo children need councillors, get paid for having fun and going on adventures;
Ski resorts offer a variety of opportunities, from working in rental shops, bartending and serving in restaurants to being an instructor; and
There are always consistent retail and delivery positions.

Where We Come In


The adventure of a lifetime is quite literally at your fingertips, whether you want to equip yourself with professional skills or have an unmatched travelling experience, Canada offers it all. All you need is that ITA. By using our accredited Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) you will not only improve your chances of success in the visa application process, but you will get expert advice on which program is best for your specific needs. Our RCICs are highly qualified and are granted permission by the ICCRC to assist you with your eligibility evaluation, review all your documents and application forms and submit them to the Canadian government for you. Why take the chance of having your application denied because your forms are incorrect or sent in too late.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn for up to date information and interesting blog posts on Canadian Immigration.