Working while Studying in Canada

Ensuring that your future is set is a top priority to many and the first step in the process would be to earn a good education in order to secure a good job in the long run – But what if there were a way to do both at the same time?

In Canada, this is indeed possible! The Canadian study permit allows students to work on campus as well as allowing opportunities for the significant other to gain employment in the country in the duration of the study period.

Requirements to work while you study

In order to work while you study, you need to meet the certain requirements set by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and these include:

  • You must be a full-time student at:
  • a public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university, or a collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec or
  • a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution, and receives at least 50 per cent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify) or
  • a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees
  • A valid study permit.
  • You must stop working on-campus on the day you no longer meet the above eligibility requirements (e.g., if you are no longer a full-time student.)

In addition to this, you need to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada in order to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs.

How to get your spouse or common-law partner to work in Canada

If you are thinking of immigrating with your significant other, rest assured that he/she is also able to gain employment in Canada. The requirements under which this is made possible are exactly the same as the abovementioned and all that is required is for your partner to apply for an open work permit. The great advantage of this kind of permit is that they do not need a job offer or a labour market opinion from Service Canada in order to be eligible.

This way, you are able to build a sustainable lifestyle together and you will also be equipping yourself for the future. Once you have completed your studies, you may find that you’d like to stay in the country indefinitely – if that is the case, you may both apply for the Canadian Experience Class category and thereafter permanent residency.