4 Fastest Ways to Immigrate to Canada from the US

Canada and the United States of America not only share a border but are also great trade partners. This relationship makes moving between the two countries much easier than for many immigrants. There are over one million US citizens living in Canada. In 2019 Canada ‘landed’ 11,000 US permanent residents and citizens. Many US citizens and residents who are applying for permanent residency in Canada go through Express Entry, Canada’s famous immigration system. However, this isn't the only way you can immigrate to Canada as a US citizen or permanent resident.

Here are the 3 Fastest Ways to Immigrate to Canada from the US.

1. Express Entry

Express Entry is arguably the easiest way to immigrate to Canada. It's the primary method used by Canada to manage skilled worker applications for permanent residency (PR). The United States is the second-largest source of immigrants entering Canada via Express Entry. U.S. citizens and residents often have a high likelihood of being asked to apply for Canadian permanent residency through Express Entry. This is due to factors such as their good language abilities, competent job experience, and high levels of education.

The Express Entry system has three federal skilled worker immigration programs. Below are the requirements for each:

Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

Canada invites skilled working professionals to become permanent residents to address the labour shortages in Canada caused by an ageing population and a decline in the birth rate. This program has been successful in attracting skilled workers from all over the world and Canada has welcomed registered nurses, IT specialists, University professors and more. If you meet the FSWP eligibility requirements below you could apply for Canadian PR.

  • 1 year of full-time paid work experience that falls under skill level 0, A or B of the National Occupational Classification (NOC).
  • Illustrate language ability via submission of a recognized English or French test that equates to a level 7 in the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) in all 4 areas: reading, writing, listening and speaking.
  • Your degree or qualification has been certified by a relevant Canadian authority such as a university or college and you can submit an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report.
  • Get 67 out of 100 points on the initial entry system based on your age, education, work experience, language ability, adaptability and if you have a valid job offer in Canada.


Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)

The FSTP is one of three federal economic initiatives controlled through the Express Entry system of the Government of Canada. Applying for permanent residency in Canada through the FSTP is one of several options for skilled trade professionals seeking immigration to Canada. FSTP candidates may have lower CRS scores than other Express Entry candidates, in part because they are not required to demonstrate their level of schooling.

  • Have full-time employment for a Canadian employer; or
  • a certificate of qualification is certified by a relevant Canadian authority.
  • Submit a language proficiency test that shows a minimum level of 5 for speaking and listening on the Canadian Level Benchmark (CLB) and CLB 4 for reading and writing.
  • Have 2 years of full-time work experience in a trade
  • Can demonstrate your skills and experience

Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

Requirements for the CEC

In order to be eligible to apply for permanent residency through the CEC stream, you’ll have to meet the following requirements:

  • Meet the minimum requirements for language levels in English or French in the 4 areas tested: speaking, listening, reading and writing.
  • Have at least 1 year of skilled work experience in Canada, whether it be 1-year full time or 2 years part-time
  • Your work experience must have been gained while you were on a valid temporary visa with a work permit.

Apply For Express Entry in 6 easy steps

  • Step 1: Check if you meet the minimum requirements
  • Step 2: Create an online Express Entry profile
  • Step 3: Calculate your Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score
  • Step 4: Get an Invitation to Apply (ITA)
  • Step 5: Collect your supporting documents
  • Step 6: Pay your fees and submit an application

2. Provincial Nomination Program (PNP)

What makes the Express Entry System the easiest way to immigrate to Canada is that you can bulk up your CRS points with a provincial nomination (PN). Much like the US has many states with their own laws and regulations, so does Canada. The country has 13 provinces and territories, each with its own governing body. Canadian provinces have a big role to play in immigration. Based on the needs of a particular province, that region can nominate you if you have a particular skill they require through a Provincial Nomination Program (PNP). 11 out of the 13 provinces have established PNPs.

Another sure way of applying for permanent residency in Canada is submitting interest in a particular province. A Provincial Nomination increases your chances of getting PR status exponentially. By opening a profile on the Express Entry System and using your profile to apply for a PNP, you could add 600 points to your CRS score if you are successful in your PNP application.

You’ll have to show your ties to a particular province, and illustrate you intend to stay in that province. For example, having a valid job offer in a particular province, or family members in the area can increase your chances of a successful nomination.

3. Family Sponsorship

Many family members over the years have crossed the border into Canada and have settled there. If you have children, parents or a spouse in Canada you may be eligible to immigrate through family sponsorship.

Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor:

  • Spouses or common-law partners
  • Parents
  • Children

Whoever sponsors you must be able to prove they have sufficient funds to support you and any additional family members for a particular period of time.

4. North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) or Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA)


Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA), previously known as NAFTA, is a trade agreement between Canada, Mexico and the US. It reinforces the strong economic ties between the three countries. Due to such good relations, international travel between these nations becomes easier. While this relationship does not automatically offer Canadian permanent residency if you seek it, it does afford you the steps to immigrate to Canada through your work.

As a US citizen or permanent resident, you may not have to submit a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) with your work visa application. Generally speaking, this is a document that many Canadian employees can’t or don’t want to get. Before hiring a foreigner, a Canadian employer must show that they’ve first tried to hire a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. If they cannot find a suitable candidate then there is a gap in the labour market and the need to hire a foreigner arises. This will result in a positive LMIA.

Without the need for an LMIA work permit, you can work in Canada in particular sectors. You’re more likely to be hired by a Canadian employer. With a valid job offer, you can move to Canada on a work permit. After a year of gaining valuable Canadian work experience, you can consider applying for permanent residency in Canada through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) stream of the Express Entry Profile. While this isn't the easiest way to immigrate to Canada, it allows you to live and work in Canada while you sort out your PR status.

Move to Canada from the US

The first step to moving north starts now. Get in contact with us today and explore your options to Immigrate to Canada from the US. Get your documents gathered to create a profile on the Express Entry System. Start looking for employers that are happy to contract a US resident. Look into what province you want to live in, or maybe get in contact with family you have in the country. Find out which is the best way for you to move to Canada.

Contact us now to speak with a b>Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC). They will walk you through the full application procedure. They will ensure that you have all of the necessary papers so that you do not waste time. They'll also communicate with the IRCC, so if they need more information from you, you'll be notified right away.

Ready to get started?