Canada Visa Application 5257 When Do You Need It

If you plan to visit Canada as a tourist, student or business person, you will need to complete a document called the Canada visa application 5257. This application is also known by another name, the Temporary Resident Visa or TRV.

Do You Need a Canada Visa Application 5257?

There are some lucky few who do not need to fill in this form when they come to Canada. They are:

  • Canadian citizens;
  • Permanent residents;
  • U.S. citizens; and
  • Visa exempt countries

If you are a green card holder from the U.S., you will need to apply for an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization). Don’t know what an eTA is? Don’t worry, this short video below will tell you all you need to know.

Are You a Visa Exempt Country?

If you are not a Canadian or U.S citizen, and you are not a permanent resident of Canada you may belong to one of these visa exempt countries.

You'll only need an eTA if you plan to transit through Canada.

Please note that having an eTA does not mean you can live and work in Canada permanently. It is only for a temporary period of six months that starts from the moment you arrive in the country.

Andorra Anguilla
Australia Austria
Bahamas Barbados
Belgium Bermuda
Brunei Bulgaria
Chile Croatia
Cyprus Czech Republic
Denmark Estonia
Andorra Anguilla
Finland France
Germany Greece
Hungary Iceland
Ireland Israel
Italy Japan
South Korea Latvia
Liechtenstein Lithuania
Luxembourg Malta
Mexico Monaco
Netherlands New Zealand
Norway Poland
Romania San Marino
Singapore Slovakia
Slovenia Spain
Sweden Switzerland
Taiwan Turks and Caicos
United Arab Emirates United Kingdom

If you didn’t find your country in this list, do not worry, you can still find out how to apply for a Canada Visa Application 5257 with us.

What Paperwork Do You Need for the Canada Visa Application 5257?

There are at least five documents you need for this application, they are the:

  1. Application for Family Information (IMM 5707)
  2. Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (IMM 5409)
  3. Use of a Representative (IMM 5476)
  4. Document Checklist (IMM 5484)
  5. Visa office instructions (IMM 5853)

Of course, not all countries require the same documents. You can find which documents you need based on your country here.

Can You Qualify For a Canadian Visa?

Want to avoid all the hassle and stress of visa applications? Make your life easier, choose an authorized RCIC to help your application. Just sign up and we will call you.

Not sure yet what visa you want to apply for? Why not read up on the best places to live, study and work in Canada. We want you to learn all you need to know about Canadian immigration before you make your decision. Here you can.