How to Immigrate to Canada from Trinidad and Tobago

The Canadian economy has similar drivers to Trinidad and Tobago, only on a larger scale. Both countries share similar natural resources in the oil and gas as well as the farming industry. That is why the Immigration and Refugee Council of Canada (IRCC) is very interested in skilled workers from the nation to take part in these sectors within our own economy and help them grow. There are several ways of how to immigrate to Canada from Trinidad and Tobago, which we will look at briefly as well as some of the occupations that are in-demand in Canada. Skill transferability is a key factor in the success of a candidate's immigration application, so ensuring you know your options, and choose the right province to live and work in will ultimately have a big impact on your immigration goals.

It was recently announced by the IRCC that the new immigration targets aim to welcome over 1.2 million immigrants to Canada over the next three years, so if you are eligible, and want to immigrate to Canada, now is the time to start your application. 

Canada Immigration Options From Trinidad & Tobago

Spring in Canada-Become a Permanent Resident

With over 100 different visa and immigration programs available for Canada, it is vital that you know your options and apply to a program that will give you the best chance of earning an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residency. There are programs suitable for when you know where you want to live, for obtaining permanent residency before you even move to Canada, for studying in Canada to obtain permanent residency, and much more. These are some of the more popular programs, and why.  

Express Entry System

Canada’s premier economic migration program is the Express Entry System. Divided into three programs based on your skills and expertise, the system works by candidates creating online profiles and entering their relevant information such as work experience, qualifications, language abilities, and so on. If you qualify for one of the programs, your information will be used to calculate a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score and you will be entered into that particular program's pool of candidates. Twice a month draws are held and the candidates with the highest CRS scores are invited to apply for permanent residency. Maximizing your CRS score is the key to receiving and ITA, and our professional consultants know just how to do it.

While you may not require a job offer in Canada to earn an ITA through Express Entry, it will greatly improve your chances if you can secure an offer of employment. The three programs or pools are:

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program - for applicants with at least one years’ experience in managerial and professional roles such as lawyers, accountants, and engineers.
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program - for qualified trades workers with at least two years of experience in their profession. You will also require a job offer OR certification from a provincial Canadian regulatory body to be eligible for this program.
  • Canada Experience Class - If you have at least one year of experience working in Canada in one of the categories above, you are eligible for this preferred program.

Provincial Nominee Program

Every Canadian province, besides Quebec and Nunavut, has its own Provincial Nomination Program(PNP). The programs are operated by the provincial governments and streams are used to address the particular labour requirements of the province. Most provinces have streams dedicated to skilled foreign workers, semi-skilled foreign workers, international graduates, and specific requirements such as IT and medical professionals. If you know which province you would like to live and work in, it would be wise to investigate the particular immigration streams available so you can apply for a provincial nomination and become a permanent resident of Canada as soon as possible.

It is also worth knowing that if you can secure a provincial nomination, this all but guarantees your permanent residency application through the Express Entry System, as a provincial nomination is worth a staggering 600 points out of the total 1,200 available on the CRS. You can create an expression of interest in a particular province when creating your express entry profile, and if they are interested in having you, they will endorse your application.

Immigration Pilot Programs

The IRCC together with provincial and city governments have created a number of ‘pilot’ immigration programs to address the labour requirements of specific areas in Canada. Each pilot program has a different set of requirements, but they all boil down to the same thing. Rural areas of Canada are looking to take part in the economic benefits of migration, and so they are assisting temporary foreign workers to obtain permanent residency and become Canadians if they choose. The pilot programs include:

  • Atlantic Immigration Pilot - graduate from a university or secure a job offer in New Brunswick, Newfoundland & Labrador, Prince Edward Island, or Nova Scotia and you could be eligible for permanent residency;
  • Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot - 11 towns and small cities across Canada are helping foreigners with job offers in their communities obtain permanent residency;
  • AgriFood Immigration Pilot - permanent residency is up for grabs for foreign workers in the agricultural industry, including supervisors, labourers, harvesters, food processing workers, and butchers; and
  • Care Provider Pilots - the old caregiver program was separated into two separate pilots, home care provider and child care provider. Foreign workers are also granted open work permits now, and after they have two years of work experience in Canada, become eligible for permanent residency.

Study in Canada

Numerous immigration programs make provision for international students from Canadian institutions to become permanent residents after they graduate. The process is fairly simple and goes as follows:

  • Get accepted to a designated learning institution
  • Obtain your student visa and study permit
  • After graduation, apply for your Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) and permanent residency through the program applicable to where you studied, either one of the PNP streams or perhaps the Atlantic Immigration Pilot
  • Live and work in Canada as a permanent resident, and after three years become a citizen!

Let Us Help You Immigrate to Canada from Trinidad and Tobago

Image 5: Alt Text:

With all of these immigration and visa options to choose from, the process can become quite overwhelming and confusing. But it doesn't have to be. By using our accredited Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) you will not only improve your chances of success in the visa application process, but you will get expert advice on which program is best for your specific needs. Our RCICs are highly qualified and are granted permission by the ICCRC to assist you with your eligibility evaluation, review all your documents and application forms, and submit them to the Canadian government for you. Why take the chance of having your application denied because your forms are incorrect or sent in too late.

We take care of the fineprint while you choose your dream destination in Canada for you and your loved ones. All you have to do is complete our application form to receive your eligibility assessment today. It's just that simple.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn for up to date information and interesting blog posts on Canadian Immigration.