Immigrate to Canada as a Civil Engineer

Canada is the second-largest country in the world with ever-expanding cities and many urban and remote communities in need of upgrading. For this reason, the specialized skills of Civil Engineers are readily welcomed in the country. If you’re a Civil Engineer looking for new opportunities, look no further than Canada that aims to welcome 401, 000 newcomers in 2021. Are you ready to work in Canada? Find out how, and what you need below!

If you want to work in Canada as a Civil Engineer then you are in the fortunate position to choose to work in Canada temporarily with a work permit or you can immigrate to Canada as a high skilled worker if you have at least 2 years of work experience. Civil engineering is a skillset that is highly sought after in Canada due to a surge of skilled workers who are retiring and the increased habit of young professionals relocating to urban cities within Canada, leaving many provinces and cities without the skills they need to flourish.    

As an in-demand worker in Canada, you can look forward to a competitive salary. According to Neuvoo, Civil Engineers can earn a generous salary of $60, 000 and some experienced workers can even make up to $102, 000. In addition, if you plan to immigrate to Canada with your family, you can enjoy free-healthcare and your children can attend a public Canadian school at no charge. 

So, how do you go about immigrating to Canada as a Civil Engineer? There are a few options to consider: if you want the freedom to live in any province, and in any city then you may consider applying through the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) managed by the popular Express Entry system. Then again, if you already have a specific province in mind you may be able to immigrate to Canada through a Provincial Nomination Program (PNP). But, if you’re more of a small-town person, who enjoys wide open spaces and a laid-back lifestyle, then Canada’s Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot may interest you.

Learn more about Canada's popular immigration and visa programs below. Or, check which Canadian immigration program/visa you qualify for with a quick, online assessment. Simply, fill in the contact form below and we’ll do the rest.      

What Do You Need to Work in Canada as a Civil Engineer?

What Do You Need to Work in Canada as a Civil Engineer

Job Description

Civil Engineers plan, design, develop and manage projects for the construction or repair of earth structures such as roads, buildings, airports, railways, rapid transit facilities, bridges, tunnels, canals, dams, ports, and coastal installations, etc. 

Where there is a Civil Engineer, there is a way - Thomas Tredgold


A bachelor’s, master or doctorate degree in civil engineering or in a related engineering discipline is usually required when applying for a civil engineering position in Canada. In addition, you may have to get your practicing license from a provincial or territorial regulatory body, before you can work in Canada as a professional engineer. 

A Canadian Job Offer

There are certain immigration programs that don't require you to have a valid job offer to immigrate to Canada as a Civil Engineer, such as the Express Entry system. However, a job offer can increase your chances of receiving permanent residency (PR) status because it adds 50 PR points to your immigration profile, or 200 PR points if you secure a job as a senior manager. Learn more below.  

How to Immigrate to Canada as a Civil Engineer

How to Immigrate to Canada as a Civil Engineer

1) Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is managed by the Express Entry system which fast tracks the processing times for permanent residency applicants. Just how fast is it? Well, your application for permanent residency can be processed in as little as 6 months! Your immediate family, such as your spouse/common-law partner and children can also be included in your application to join you in Canada.  

Step 1: Create Your Online Profile

To enter the Express Entry pool of candidates, you must create an online profile. Based on the information you provide, you’ll be given a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score or commonly referred to as Permanent Residency (PR) Points. Your overall score is subject to the criteria of the CRS, which award points for: 

  • Age
  • CLB Language proficiency (English and French)
  • Level of Education (In and outside Canada)
  • Work Experience (In and outside Canada)
  • Arranged employment
  • Provincial Nomination achieved
  • Siblings living in Canada as permanent residents/citizens
  • Your spouse’s profile (if married)

Step 2: Receive an ITA

Every two weeks there is an Express Entry draw which sends the highest scoring candidates Invitations to Apply (ITA) for permanent residency in Canada.

Step 3: Apply for Permanent Residency

If you receive an ITA then you can move forward with the official application in which you include all of the required documents, like your medical examination results, IELTS language test results, copy of your ID document, etc. 

2. Provincial Nomination Program (PNP)

Canada's provinces and territories have their own immigration programs that are aimed at attracting skilled international workers to their respective regions. An important PNP to keep in mind is the In-Demand Skilled Worker Stream that is linked to Express Entry.  

For example, if a province has a shortage of Civil Engineers, the Provincial Government will look in the Express Entry pool of candidates and send Civil Engineers, who meet their requirements, a nomination. Receiving a nomination will grant you an additional 600 CRS points which means that you are almost guaranteed an ITA. 

How to Receive a Provincial Nomination as a Civil Engineer

Immigrate to Canada as an Engineer

Discover the Canadian provinces in which your skills are most in-demand so that you can express your interest in the province/s in your Express Entry profile to draw their attention and hopefully receive a nomination! The provinces that are specifically looking for Civil Engineers in 2020 are: 


The popular Canadian province is well-known as the agri-hub of Canada, but the tech sector is slowly but surely gaining momentum. It’s in the capital city of Regina where the most job opportunities can be found for Civil Engineers who want to immigrate to Canada. 

British Columbia

Civil Engineering is seen as a high opportunity occupation in British Columbia with an annual provincial salary estimated at $80, 000, well above the country's average. The city of Vancouver situated in BC is a popular destination for international workers who immigrate to Canada.


The largest and most aesthetic province in Canada is on the lookout for international Civil Engineers to immigrate to Canada. If you can speak French then your chances of moving to Quebec just doubled, as the province is predominantly French-speaking. The Abitibi-Témiscamingue region in the province offers the most job opportunities for Civil Engineers. 

Atlantic Canada

Moving up in a North-Easterly direction, you’ll find the three Maritime provinces of Canada. If you enjoy seaside living then you will be happy to know that these provinces have their own immigration program, called the Atlantic Immigration Pilot which welcomes skilled workers, especially Civil Engineers to apply for PR status and immigrate to Canada.

3. Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot (RNIP)

Canada’s Rural Northern Immigration Pilot is a community-driven program that aims to attract skilled workers to the smaller and lesser-known communities in Canada, like Thunder Bay in Ontario and Brandon in Manitoba for example.

Much like the PNP, you have to receive a Community Recommendation to immigrate to Canada. But, unlike the PNP, the RNIP is not aligned to the Express Entry System. To receive a Community Recommendation you have to satisfy very specific criteria as set forward by the community.

Most of the time these requirements include obtaining a valid job offer from an employer within the community and proving that you are able to adapt to living in a community of less than 10, 000 people.  

How We Can Help You Immigrate to Canada

Immigrate to Canada with RCICs

Does Canada sound like your next home? Immigrating anywhere in the world is no easy feat. There are many processes, eligibility requirements paperwork, and documents to take care of.

We at CanadianVisa.Org simplify your journey by finding the best possible path for you, and your family to successfully immigrate to Canada. Our experienced team of Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) handles the Canadian immigration process on your behalf, ensuring that your visa application is optimized for success.     

Let us help you immigrate to Canada as a civil engineer. All you have to do is complete our application form to receive your eligibility assessment today. It's just that simple.

For more Canadian immigration news, visa application tips, and programs, follow us on Facebook and Twitter, Linkedin, and Instagram.