Listed as one of the highest in-demand industries in Canada, the IT arena is the perfect place for professionals to be in, which is something that won’t change any time soon. One of the reasons why Canada has such a high demand for IT professionals is that while there are local Canadian residents that graduate, the United States seeks them out. This, of course, leaves a large gap in the market for skilled foreigners to fill.
As one of the most in-demand fields, IT jobs in Canada offer some of the most competitive salaries and are also continuing to grow to secure skilled professionals to work in Canada.
Although young Canadians move to start a new life in the U.S. in search of greener pastures, Canada’s IT market continues to flourish. Couple the high demand for skilled IT professionals with the incredibly efficient Express Entry system and you could soon become a permanent resident, living and working your dream job in a beautiful, progressive and multicultural country in just four to six months.
In-Demand IT Jobs in Canada
|8 Highest Paid IT Positions in Canada for 2021|
|IT Project Manager||$91,985|
|Quality Assurance Analyst||$65,000|
|IT Business Analyst||$70,817|
|Senior Software Engineer||$100,000|
|Technical Support Specialist||$52,500|
The Top IT Companies in Canada Hiring Now
The company that you work for is significant because it is a direct interpretation of how much you can earn. If you work for the number one IT company in Canada, you are likely to be paid much more than if you worked for the 20th most popular IT company in Canada. Apart from the company that you work for, where you work will also indicate how much money you can earn annually. Since many foreigners want to work and move to Canada to improve their career, prospects, and overall, their financial situation to improve their quality of life, the company you end up choosing to work for is very important.
With that being said, it’s necessary to apply for IT jobs in Canada at various companies. The more opportunities you have in the form of job offers, the more likely you will earn more for the role that you want to get hired for.
Canada prides itself on providing its residents with a high quality of life, which most companies successfully translate into the workplace.
The top 10 tech companies to work for offering some of the highest paying jobs in Canada according to some of the country’s local employees include:
- Microsoft - A highly positive work environment, with 85percent of the company’s employees admitting that they are happy at the company. Microsoft is also one of the most innovative tech companies in the world, which offers IT professionals countless opportunities and some of the highest salaries in the IT industry. Microsoft has four offices in Canada, including one in Saskatchewan, one in Quebec, and two in Ontario.
- PointClickCare - As a Cloud-based healthcare software provider, PointClickCare has an 80 percent employee approval rate. The company has six locations between Canada and the United States, with two offices in Canada, including in Toronto and Prince Edward Island.
- SAP - This German-based multinational software company is one of Microsoft’s competitors in Canada. It has a 91 percent employee approval rate. The company has eight offices, including in British Columbia, Alberta, Quebec, and Ontario. There are also SAP training facilities and learning institutions in Ontario.
- Ubisoft - Popularly known as one of the legends in the gaming industry, with 74 percent of employees recommending working at Ubisoft to their friends and family. Canada has five Ubisoft offices, including in Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec.
- Shopify - With 17 offices worldwide, Shopify is an e-commerce giant and a force to be reckoned with. The company has an 80percent employee approval rating. Their offices are located in Quebec and Ontario.
- Fortinet - As an IT services organization that has been around since 2000, Fortinet has made huge strides in employee approval, breaking into the top 10 IT companies to work for in Canada. Their office is located in Quebec.
- EA - Also a gaming company similar to Ubisoft, EA is known for its video games. Presenting a challenging and competitive environment, working at EA offers a great work/life balance. EA has 39 offices around the world, including an office in British Columbia.
- Apple - This popular giant needs no introduction. It is an incredible company to work for that offers a terrific culture but maintains a high bar when it comes to its hiring process. Apple’s offices are located in Ontario, yet there are many Apple stores located throughout Canada.
- Telus - As another popular company, Telus is a wireless network operator that offers a dynamic work environment with significant room for growth. The company has many offices in Canada, including in Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan.
- Ceridian - Known as a global leader, Ceridean employs nearly 2,000 people in Canada and constantly evolves as a tech giant. The company is a payroll solutions company that offers many opportunities for IT professionals that are responsible for creating, maintaining, and improving these solutions. The company has various locations, including in Newfoundland and Labrador, Quebec, Ontario, New Brunswick, Manitoba, and Alberta.
Have You Heard of Express Entry?
The Express Entry system was created to speed up and ease the immigration process for skilled foreigners worldwide. It requires applicants to create an online profile to which they will upload required documents such as qualifications and experience.
Once you have created a profile, your entry will enter a pool of applicants where all of these elements are used to calculate a Comprehensive Ranking Score (CRS) that consists of 1,200 points. Most skilled individuals with an average experience will earn a score around 370, yet this number can be significantly increased by other factors such as if you have a degree or diploma, experience in your field of expertise, English and French language abilities, and if you have a spouse or common-law partner that is skilled or score high in any of these categories too. The last couple of draws for Express Entry saw the cut-off points around 370 to 375 points. If you manage to get a job offer, however, you can earn a lot more points, which will secure your application next to other applicants.
Interested in Express Entry? Learn more at CanadianVisa.Org
Canadian Job Offer
If you have a valid offer of employment from a designated Canadian company, it adds 600 points to your CRS score, which guarantees an invitation to apply for permanent residency in Canada, as long as you meet the basic eligibility requirements.
Where Would I Live?
Since where you work directly affects your quality of life, it is necessary to consider where you live. While Canada is a beautiful country with an abundance of activities to enjoy, it is necessary to consider which province you would like to live in based on your lifestyle and preferences.
The following cities have the highest employment rates for IT professionals. Each one differs from the next, yet all of them offer incredible opportunities:
The IT hub of Canada, situated on the northern shore of Lake Ontario is the farthest southern province in Canada that you can work, which means that it has the least extreme winters and warmer summers. In-demand IT positions include developers, project managers, analysts, and IT engineers.
At the bottom corner of the country’s west coast is Vancouver, British Columbia, the city boasts buzzing nightlife and a vibrant downtown area. If you are a fan of the outdoors, Vancouver Island is only a ferry ride away.
Regularly voted the most beautiful city in Canada, Montreal has a distinctly European feel because of its big French population. The perfect blend of Europe and Canada needs developers and programmers.
In the heart of Canada, bordering the exquisite Banff and Jasper National Park’s is the capital of Alberta, Calgary. Due to its fast-growing economy, the demand for IT professionals is very high in this province.
Only a few hours north of Calgary is the fast-growing city of Edmonton which also borders the National Parks. Edmonton has a high demand for system design, public administration, and IT roles at universities.
Find Your Dream IT Job in Canada
The process of finding an in-demand job in Canada that suits your field of IT expertise and skills is easier than you may have previously thought. That’s because countless opportunities fill all 13 provinces and territories in Canada.
With thousands of tech roles that need to be filled in the country, many professionals are eager to move to the Great White North, with one of the biggest reasons being that the IT industry offers some of the highest paying jobs in Canada today.
With continuous innovation, it’s no doubt that the demand for IT professionals is increasing, and with all that Canada has to offer, why is it difficult to make your next big move?
Find out more on how to get a work permit in Canada from anywhere in the world, and start the journey of your dreams as an IT professional in one of the greatest countries in the world today!