Changes to Requirements for International Students Working on-campus in Canada

The Canadian government through the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has updated the process for international students who are applying for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work on-campus. From February 10, 2017, international students will no longer be required to submit an employment contract to apply for a SIN.

Previously, international students applying for a SIN to work on-campus were required to have a valid study permit and an employment contract. A SIN is required for any individual who is eligible to work in Canada and is pursuing employment, on or off-campus.

The IRCC defines on-campus as “employment facilities within the boundaries of the campus”, for example, this could be at a library, cafeteria, store, and hospital or research facility on the institution’s campus. On-campus employment also includes teaching and research assistant positions. International students who are studying full-time at a post-secondary institution may work without a work permit on the campus of their school, college or university. The authorization to work applies for the duration of the study permit.