How to Get PR in Canada After Graduation

Did you know that you can get Permanent Residence (PR) in Canada after completing your studies there? If you meet all of the requirements for PR, you can make this wonderful country your new home.

There are several routes you can take to make this happen. You can apply for the following:

In this article, we will talk about how to get PR in Canada after graduation as an international student through various channels and how you can apply for a temporary work permit through the Post-Graduate Work Permit Program (PGWPP)

Pathways to Getting PR After Graduation: Canadian Experience Class

Pathways to Getting PR After Graduation: Canadian Experience Class

The CEC is managed by the Express Entry system and has four main requirements you need to meet before you can apply.

The CEC requires you to have the following:

Required language skills;
Necessary skilled work experience in Canada;
Necessary NOC level job; and
Intention to live in any province that is not Quebec

You can also improve your score for the CEC if you have a Canadian qualification from either an accepted High School or University.

Languages Tests

Language skills matter. You must pass the English or French exams to qualify for CEC. There are two English language tests you can take. These are the CELPIP (Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program) and the IELTS (International English Language Testing System).

Just make sure that you pick the right test option. You will choose between “Academic” and “General” exams. Choose the General option because it is for immigration purposes, and you need it if you intend to apply for PR.

You should only choose the Academic option if you plan to continue your studies in Canada. An accepted French test you can take is the Test d'evaluation de francais. All the tests mentioned above will mark you based on your reading, writing, speaking, and listening language skills. When you get your results, they will be translated into the Canadian Language Benchmark. If you have a NOC level B job, you need a 5 for your CLB.

The higher your NOC job level, the higher the language score will need. You will need to get higher scores if you have a NOC TEER 0, 1, or 2.

Work Experience Requirements

Work Experience Requirements

To apply for the CEC, you must have the right work experience in a NOC (National Occupational Classification) level TEER 0, 1 or 2

You must have at least one year of work experience in one of these NOC levels. It doesn’t matter if you work part-time or full-time so long as you meet the required working hours of 1,580 or 30 hours per week. This work experience must not be as a self-employed person or while you have studied! Work experience must be after you have graduated from university, so please be aware! This work experience must be within three years of your application. You can find out what your NOC level is on the CIC website. Just enter your occupation to find out your job code and level.

Make sure that you have the following:

You can also have a job offer from a Canadian employer for at least 30 hours a week for one year. You can apply under Express Entry and create your profile when you have all your necessary documents. Based on your CRS (Comprehensive Ranking System) score will put you into the Express Entry pool.

This CRS breaks down your application to give you a final number out of 1,200 based on your:

  • Education level like a:
    • Canadian education; or
    • Completed degree/PhD or Masters
  • Age;
  • Language tests for English or French that are less than two years old;
  • NOC level and code;
  • Level of experience in your job;
  • Whether you have:
    • Relatives in Canada;
    • An LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment);
    • A Provincial Nomination; and
    • A Certification of Qualification

Application Process

You may get an ITA (Invitation to Apply) when you complete your Express Entry Profile. This invitation is an application for permanent residence. You must complete the application within 60 days of getting your ITA, or the whole process must start again from scratch. You can now move on to the second part of the application, handing in documents for permanent residence. These documents can be in the form of medical exams, proof of funds, and police certificates. You may also need biometrics. Just remember that you must upload these documents onto your profile.

Medical Examinations for PR

These medical examinations need to be completed by most applicants. Always double-check on the CIC website before you go ahead with your medical exam. Another thing to keep in mind is that you cannot just go to any doctor for your exam. The examination must be done by a regulated professional on the Canadian Panel of Physicians, or your application will not be accepted when you try to complete your application.

Proof of Funds

When you come to Canada, you must make sure you have money to support yourself while in the country. If you are applying alone, you must have at least CAD$12,475 in your account. If you are applying with your family, please know you must have more funds to support them. This can be around $3,500 per family member. You can prove that you have enough funds to immigrate by providing a letter from your bank proving you have enough money to settle in Canada.

Police Clearance

If you have lived in certain countries for over six months, you must have a Police Clearance document.

This is to show that you have a clear criminal record and no pending cases against you. This is important for your application and can result in your case being denied if you have been driving under the influence.


Biometrics is a new security system introduced by the Canadian government. They use fingerprint and facial recognition technology to help monitor those who come in and leave Canadian borders. You can go to many places to collect your biometrics in your country.

Other Immigration Routes For Canadian Post Graduates

other immigration routes

The CEC is not the only way you can get PR in Canada after graduation

Federal Skilled Worker Program

You may qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker Program if you have been working while studying.

This program is designed to attract skilled workers from around the world who have the potential to thrive in Canada's economy.

To be eligible for the FSWP, you must meet specific criteria, including having at least one year of full-time work experience in a skilled occupation, meeting the language requirements, and having sufficient settlement funds. The program uses a point-based system to assess your eligibility, considering factors such as age, education, work experience, language ability, and adaptability.

If you are deemed eligible, you may be invited to apply for permanent residency in Canada. This means you can live, work, and study anywhere in Canada and access the same benefits as Canadian citizens, such as healthcare and social services. You can also apply for Canadian citizenship after a certain period.

The FSWP is just one of the many immigration programs offered by the Canadian government. Still, it is a popular choice for skilled workers due to its straightforward eligibility requirements and potential for permanent residency. It is important to note that the program has a limited number of spots available each year, so applying as soon as you are eligible is essential.

In addition, it is highly recommended to work with an immigration consultant or lawyer to ensure your application is complete and meets all requirements.

Provincial Nominee Programs

You may also apply for PR in Canada through a PNP after graduation. Several streams, including the BC PNP International Graduate Stream, are made specifically for graduates of that particular province.

PNPs are a popular pathway for foreign students who wish to remain in Canada and make it their home. These programs are designed to attract and retain skilled workers who have the potential to contribute to the Canadian economy. They allow provinces and territories to nominate candidates for permanent residency based on their specific labor market needs.

The PNPs have unique streams for international students who have completed their studies in Canada. These programs allow them to apply for permanent residency in Canada, opening up new opportunities to work and settle in the country. The international graduation streams under PNPs provide a fast track to permanent residency for eligible candidates, as they are given priority processing.

Moreover, PNPs are not restricted to any particular field of study. Graduates from all streams - engineering, healthcare, business, or arts - can apply for permanent residency through PNPs. This means that you can pursue your dream course in Canada and still have the chance to stay in the country once you complete your studies.

Quebec Immigration Options

Because Quebec’s immigration system works differently from other PNPs, we’ve added this category as a means to immigrate to Canada after graduating from a university in or outside Quebec.

The Quebec Experience Program (PEQ) is one of the most popular options. This program is designed for those who have graduated from a Quebec university and have acquired work experience in the province. The PEQ offers a fast track to permanent residency, with processing times as short as six months.

If you have a job offer in Quebec, you may be eligible for the Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSWP). This program is designed for those with work experience who meet particular education and language requirements. With a job offer in hand, you may be able to qualify for permanent residency in Quebec.

Finally, if you are an entrepreneur, you may be interested in the Quebec Entrepreneur Program (QEP). This program is designed for those who want to start or acquire a business in Quebec. Successful applicants may be able to obtain permanent residency in Quebec.

Post-Graduation Work Permit

Post-Graduation Work Permit

Another option is the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). This permit allows you to stay in Canada and work for up to three years after graduation. During this time, you can gain valuable work experience and improve your language skills, which could make you eligible for other immigration programs.


This permit allows international students who have completed a degree or diploma program at a designated learning institution in Canada to work in the country for up to three years.

To be eligible for the PGWP, specific requirements must be met. First and foremost, you must have completed a program of study at least eight months at a designated learning institution. This can be a university, college, or other educational institution recognized by the Canadian government called a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).

In addition to completing a program of study, you must also have a valid study permit at the time of application for the PGWP. This means that you must have maintained full-time status as a student throughout your program and have not violated any study permit conditions.

Another critical requirement for the PGWP is that you must apply within 180 days of receiving written confirmation from your educational institution that you have met the requirements for completing your program of study. This confirmation can be in the form of a letter or transcript.

It is also important to note that not all programs of study are eligible for the PGWP. Only programs that lead to a degree, diploma, or certificate are eligible. Programs less than eight months or conducted primarily through distance learning may not be eligible.

How Can We Help You

The process of staying in Canada after graduation can be overwhelming and confusing. Various programs and pathways are available, each with its own requirements and criteria. An RCIC can guide you through this process, explain the options available, and help you choose the right program that suits your needs and goals.



How Long After Graduation Can You Stay in Canada?

Your study permit will become invalid 90 days after you complete your studies (even before your study permit expiry date) or on the expiry date of your study permit. If you plan to stay in Canada after your studies, you need to apply for a new status or permit to maintain your legal status in Canada.

Is It Easy To Get PR in Canada After Graduation?

The good news is that getting a Canada PR visa is indeed easy. This is because there are several immigration pathways for individuals, including the Express Entry system, the Provincial Nominee Program, and the Canadian Experience Class.

However, it's important to note that obtaining permanent residency in Canada is not an automatic process. You must meet specific requirements and provide evidence of your eligibility, such as your education credentials, work experience, language proficiency, and financial stability. But if you meet these requirements, you can apply for PR and enjoy the benefits of living and working in Canada permanently.

What Type of Work Permit Can I Get After Graduation?

If you meet the requirements, you may file for a PGWP from within Canada or another nation. After graduating, you have up to 180 days to apply a PGWP. When you apply, you need to affirm the following: that you participated in your training and finished it. Graduates from qualified Canadian designated learning institutions (DLIs) are eligible for the PGWP Program, which enables them to get an open work permit and acquire worthwhile Canadian work experience.