The Ultimate Express Entry Checklist for your Canada Immigration Application

Receiving an Invitation to Apply for permanent residency in Canada can be an extremely exciting time in your life. But like any life-changing decision, it comes with a lot of stress and admin. Once you have your ITA you only have 60 days to gather all necessary documentation. 2 months may seem like a long time however when you take into account how many forms and documents need to be submitted on top of your day to day errands and activities, it doesn’t really leave much time for error or uncertainty.  

Using an RCIC or Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant can save you a lot of time and hassle as well as increase your likelihood of success.

Although RCICs can speed up the immigration process and ensure that forms are completed correctly and submit your documents on your behalf to the Canadian government, you will need to collect all the supporting documents that need to be submitted in advance so that they can be verified by our accredited consultants. 

To ensure that you know exactly what you need prior to your submission date, we’ve compiled The Ultimate Express Entry Checklist so that you can start to accumulate everything well in advance.  

The Ultimate Express Entry Checklist - Step by Step

clipboard with checklist on desk next to plant coffee cup and laptop on wooden desk | Canada immigration application

1. Photos

You will be required to have 2 digital photos of yourself (and your spouse/partner and each dependent child if applicable) that meet the specifications of the Canadian government. It is important that these images are not edited or altered in any way.

2. Identity & Civil Status Document

You are required to submit a clear and legible copy of your passport or travel document containing your biographical data in order to confirm your identity as well as your accompanying family members’. 

If you have a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner you will have to supply a marriage certificate or evidence of common-law union and cohabitation. If divorced, you will have to supply documents to verify that you are divorced, legally separated, or widowed. 

If you have dependents (whether or not they will be accompanying you), you will need to provide their birth certificate or equivalent for each child or adoption certificate (if applicable).

3. Language Test Results

As you know, Canada requires a certain level of proficiency in English and/or French. In order to prove your ability, you will need to submit a copy of your language test results. Although the ICCRC may have access to your test result it is advised to submit a copy to prevent any delays if a copy is later requested.

If you are interested in learning how you can improve your visa application through your IELTS, visit our blog here.

4. Work Experience Documents

In order to prove your work experience, you will be required to submit a letter of reference. This letter is different from the one that you may be accustomed to in that you will need for every employer that you have had in the past 10 years that relate to the occupation you have applied for. The most important part of the letter is that it should state what your daily tasks or duties were so that the ICCRC can check to see if your NOC codes accurately match your work experience. 

If you do not have access to a letter of reference you may use other forms of supporting documentation, such as:

  • Payslips
  • Contracts
  • Employments letters
  • Photos at work

Please note that if you have Canadian work experience you will need to submit tax documents to prove that you have acquired the experience legally.

5. Education Documents

These documents are required to prove that you have completed your training or education as mentioned in your application form. These documents will need to be compared to Canadian education standards and assessed according to the Educational Credential Assessment (ECA).

It is also important to note that transcripts and certificates in languages other than English or French will need a certified translation.

6. Proof of Relative

This is only for those who have claimed CRS points in their Canadian profile. You will be required to prove that you are related, their Canadian citizenship as well as that they live in Canada. It is not compulsory to have a Canadian relative to claim permanent residence.  

7. Proof of Funds

You will need a minimum amount of money in your bank account before you move to Canada. You will have to be able to prove that you can support yourself and your dependants whether or not they will be immigrating to Canada with you

8. Medical Examination Confirmation

This is a document showing that you are in good health as per the Candian government regulations. You will need to supply an electronic copy to confirm your health.

9. Police Clearance Certificates

These certificates prove that you are eligible to apply for permanent residency in Canada. You will need one for every country, region, or territory that you have lived in for longer than 6 months. 

10. Provincial Nomination

This is only necessary if you have claimed points for provincial nomination. You will need to supply a copy of the provincial or territorial certificate of qualification.

11. Offer of Employment

This only applies if you have claimed points for a valid job offer from an employer in Canada. You will be required to produce a letter of employment for the job offered in Canada on company letterhead. It should include the following: 

  • start date;
  • job title;
  • duties and responsibilities;
  • number of work hours per week; and
  • annual salary plus benefits.

You also need to provide a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) number, if applicable. Your LMIA depends on whether or not your job offer is considered a high-wage or low-wage position. Certain specialized immigration streams require an LMIA and the criteria are specific to the territory or province.  

12. Government Processing Fees

This is quite simply ensuring that you have the relevant government processing fees as well as the right of permanent residence fees.

Express Entry Checklist
Identity & Civil Status Document
Language Test Results
Work Experience Documents
Education Documents
Proof of Relative
Proof of Funds
Medical Examination Confirmation
Police Clearance Certificates
Provincial Nomination
Offer of Employment
Government Processing Fees

How We Can Help You Apply Through the Express Entry System

happy woman shaking hands with RCIC helping her with her Canada visa application

Immigration to Canada can be both complex and confusing. By using our accredited Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) you will not only optimize your chances of success in your application for permanent residency in Canada, but you will also receive expert advice on the application process and they will tailor your immigration package to your personal needs. Our RCICs are registered with the ICCRC and are legally permitted to assist you by evaluating your eligibility, reviewing all documentation, and submitting it to the Canadian government on your behalf. 

Don't risk your chances of losing out on your Canadian dream. Let us make sure that all forms are completed correctly and submitted on time. Your journey starts here.