Getting a work visa from Canada can be quite tough with all the different requirements you have to adhere to. It can also take a while from the time of the application to the time you actually land in Canada. However, there is good news. If you are a U.K. national wanting to work in Canada, there is no better time for you than now. U.K. nationals are now able to get a fast-tracked Canadian work permit from the U.K.
Continue reading if you’d like to expedite your way to Canada.
Accelerated Canadian Work Permits for U.K. Nationals
As of April 1, 2021, the post-Brexit trade agreement between Canada and the U.K. has been implemented. The agreement makes U.K. nationals eligible for work permits under the Canada-UK Trade Continuity Agreement (CUKTCA). The reason these permits are able to go through fast-track processing is that they don’t need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). This means that you are able to receive a position without it needing to be offered to Canadian citizens or permanent residents first.
If you are already working in Canada and would like to extend your work visa, you will need to fill out a new application form for CUKTCA. The trade agreement is designed similarly to the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) program. The only difference in processing between CUKTCA and CETA is that a new special program code must be used.
Below are a few programs, available to U.K. nationals, that are eligible to be processed under the CUKTCA program.
There are two categories for business visitors. They are short-term visitors and business visitors for investment purposes.
The maximum length of stay for short-term business visitors and business visitors for investment purposes is 90 days in any six-month period. You can only come to Canada for a certain number of visits that are related to a specific project that is eligible. The visits are allowed to take place over a period of weeks or months, because of this you could be given a Visitor Record to decrease the potential referrals to immigration secondary.
A Visitor Record is a document issued to visa-exempt foreign nationals who are wanting to enter Canada. It also gives the specific conditions and the validity of the stay in Canada. A visitor record also:
- defines the conditions of admission;
- specifies the validity date (or date by which the foreign national must depart Canada);
- captures other pertinent information about the subject and the purpose for seeking entry to Canada; and
- makes foreign nationals aware of the need for formal authorization before extending their period of stay.
Permitted Activities for Entry as a Business Visitor
Below is a list of eligible activities for short-term business visitors to enter Canada under CUKTCA to get a fast-tracked Canadian work permit from the U.K.
- Meetings and consultations - attending meetings or conferences, or engaged in consultations with business associates.
- Research and design - technical, scientific and statistical research be conducted in Canada.
- Marketing research - market researchers and analysts conducting research or analysis for an enterprise.
- Training seminars - receive training in techniques and work practices, provided training received is restricted to observation, familiarization and classroom instruction only.
- Trade fairs and exhibitions - personnel attending a trade fair to promote their company or its products or services
- Sales - representatives of a supplier of services or goods taking orders or negotiating the sale of services or goods or entering into agreements to sell services or goods. Short-term business visitors don’t engage in making direct sales to the general public.
- Purchasing - buyers purchasing goods or services for an enterprise, or management and supervisory personnel, engaging in a commercial transaction.
- After-sales or after-lease service - installers, repair and maintenance personnel, and supervisors, possessing specialized knowledge essential to a seller's contractual obligation, performing services or training workers to perform services.
- Tourism personnel - tour and travel agents, tour guides or tour operators attending or participating in conventions or accompanying a tour.
- Translation and interpretation - translators or interpreters performing services as employees of an enterprise located in Canada.
There are restrictions on a business visitor eligibility under CUKTCA, they are as follows:
Short-Term Business Visitors Cannot:
- engage in selling a good or service to the general public;
- receive remuneration directly or indirectly from a source in Canada; and
- be engaged in the supply of a service, except as provided above.
Business Visitors for Investment Purposes
A business visitor for investment purposes is an employee who is in a managerial or specialist position. They are responsible for getting up an enterprise, but they are not allowed to engage in direct transactions with the general public or receive money from Canadian sources directly or indirectly.
Investors are allowed to stay in Canada for one year, with the possibility of extending their stay if they can provide documentation that proves their need to extend their stay.
The investor provisions of CETA apply to applicants who:
- will establish, develop, or administer the operation of an investment in a capacity that is supervisory or executive;
- are the investor;
- are employed by an enterprise that has committed or is in the process of committing a substantial amount of capital.
There are other LMIA-exempt Canadian work permit categories including the International Mobility Program (IMP). The Working Holiday Visa falls under this program. U.K. nationals who are not eligible under the CUKTCA may instead be eligible under this category.
Working Holiday Visa
The Working Holiday Visa is a temporary open work visa that is valid for 24 months for U.K. nationals aged 18-30 years. This is a great way to gain Canadian work experience in Canada, and travel while doing so. The work experience could open doors for you to become a permanent resident in Canada.
How to Apply for a Working Holiday Visa in Canada
If you would like to apply for the Working Holiday Visa, you will need to become a candidate in one of the IEC pools. There are four steps to this process.
You’ll need to answer the ‘Come to Canada’ questionnaire that will take around 10 minutes to complete. The questions asked are more or less about:
- country of citizenship
- country of permanent residence
- country of residence
- student status
Once successful, you’ll need your online IEC profile. It includes sharing contact details, full name, place and date of birth. You may exit your profile at any time, as the information is saved, however, it’ll need to be completed in 60 days so that you don’t have to start over.
Wait for the draw to take place. If you receive an invitation, you’ll have 10 days to complete it.
After you’ve accepted the invitation, you’ll need to apply for a work permit, submit completed forms, documents and make payment within 20 days. A decision is usually made within eight weeks after the application is submitted.
Requirements for U.K. Nationals to Apply for a Working Holiday Visa
- Valid passport;
- Be a part of the 34 participating countries (which U.K nationals are);
- Aged 19-30;
- $2, 500 to cover initial expenses;
- Health insurance;
- Round-trip ticket or sufficient funds to cover one; and
- No dependents.
Need Help With Your Canadian Work Visa Application?
If you want to work in Canada, but you’re battling with the visa process or it just seems a little too complicated. There’s no need to worry, that’s what CanadianVisa.org is here for. We have dedicated Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) who are experienced and have a vast knowledge of Canadian work visas. And they will be with you every step of the way during your application process to get a fast-tracked Canadian work permit from the U.K.
Simply click on the link to get started!