Immigrate to Canada as a Machinist or Machine Operator

Are you an experienced machinist or machine operator looking for a pathway to permanent residency in Canada? You’ve come to the right place. We have everything you need to make the visa application process easy and simple.

Additionally, On April 14th, 2021, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) implemented a new pathway for temporary residents who are already in Canada as temporary workers, the TR to PR pathway.

But before you can immigrate to Canada, we need to ensure to find out which immigration programs and pilots you qualify for as well as which one will give you the best possible chances at success. Canada has over 80 visa options for you to choose from, and we’re here to help make sure that you make the right choice.

Canada is set to invite 465,000 people to settle in Canada in 2023 and 500,000 by 2025. A significant portion of these immigrants is expected to be sourced through the Express Entry system and Provincial Nominee Programs.

These two programs are the most popular not only because they are a lot quicker than other programs, but they are also offering the most spots and will collectively invite far more foreigners to move to Canada than other immigration visa programs.

Machinist or Machine Operator Jobs in Canada

machine or machine operator jobs in cananda

There are currently hundreds of machinist jobs in Canada. Finding a job abroad is a daunting process. Still, with online platforms such as eJobbo, you’ll find it easier to link up with potential Canadian employers who have jobs available in your industry.

For tips on how to land a job in Canada, visit our blog here. According to Canada’s National Occupational Classification, there are two main subtypes of machinist and/or machine operator jobs in Canada which include:

  • NOC Code 72100: Machinists and machining and tooling inspectors:
  • NOC Code 72010: Contractors and supervisors, machining, metal forming, shaping, and erecting trades and related occupations:

What Do I Need to Immigrate to Canada as a Machinist?

What do I need to operate

Before you can move to Canada as a machinist or machine operator, you will need to meet certain requirements, specifically regarding qualifications relevant to your trade.

It is important to note that these may vary depending on your skill level, occupation, and the province or territory you intend to find employment. To qualify to live and work in Canada as a machinist, you must have:

  • Completed secondary or high school education
  • Work experience (usually at least one year, depending on the program and province/territory)
  • Journeyman/woman trade certification in machining, tool and die making, or other related metalworking trade
  • A trade certification is not compulsory in all territories and provinces
  • A four-year apprenticeship or combination of work experience and industry courses (NOC72100)
  • Have a red seal endorsement that is also available yet optional (allows for interprovincial mobility)

All qualifications will need to be assessed to ensure that it meets Canadian standards. This means that you will need an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for it to count towards your Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points when the time comes to apply for your visa.

How to Move to Canada as a Machinist or Machine Operator?

How to operate as a machine operator(canada)

Applying for a Canadian visa as a machine operator may seem like a difficult task. Still, we’ve highlighted four easy steps that are essential when you start your visa application process.

Step 1: Choose Your Province or Territory

It’s important to know where you would like to live and work in Canada because once you have accepted your dream job in Canada, your work permit will only allow you to work for the same employer in that specific province or territory for at least a year.

This applies if you choose, for example, to immigrate to Canada through a program such as the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). So before you start your visa application process, you may want to research to ensure that you have selected the best place for you and your family to call home.

Step 2: Assess Your Education

If you received your qualification outside of Canada, you will need an ECA. An ECA will certify that your secondary and post-secondary qualifications are valid and equal to Canadian standards.

It also allows you to claim CRS points when you apply for your Canadian visa and is also a requirement for some immigration programs, such as the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP), which falls under the Express Entry system.

Luckily, machinist and machine operator jobs in Canada are classified at TEER level 2, which means that you are eligible to apply under the Express Entry system programs as long as you meet the other criteria. Below is a list of designated organizations that are permitted to assess your qualifications:

Step 3: Choose Your Immigration Program

There are many different ways to immigrate to Canada as a machine operator or machinist in 2023. To help, here are the four ways in which you have the best possible chances of success of becoming a permanent resident of Canada.:

  • Express Entry system
  • Provincial Nominee Program
  • The Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot
  • Atlantic Immigration Pilot

Top Permanent Residency Programs for Machinists and Machine Operators

Permanent residency (PR) programs offer a more streamlined pathway toward living and working in Canada either alone or with your family. As a machinist or machine operator, you have a good chance of obtaining PR status since the skills provided by this trade are highly valued and in demand. The following programs present the PR immigration pathways you can use to move to Canada as a Machine Operator or Machinist.

Express Entry

The Express Entry system manages 3 Canadian federal economic immigration programs, namely the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP), and the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) Program. Because machinists and machine operators are classified under NOC Major Group 72 or industrial, electrical, and construction trades you qualify to submit your Canadian visa application through the FSTP.

Your application will be entered, automatically, into Express Entry draws every two weeks and are ranked according to your CRS score based on factors such as age, language skills, and ability to settle in Canada, for example. If your score meets the minimum cut-off score or is higher, you will get an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence in Canada.

Provincial Nominee Program

The Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) lets you immigrate to Canada if you are a skilled or semi-skilled foreign worker with a valid full-time job offer (if required) in Canada that is in demand in a particular province or territory. Each province or territory has its own PNP with specific labor needs.

If you receive a provincial nomination, you will be given 600 extra CRS points, which virtually guarantees you receive an ITA for permanent residence. Machinist and machine operators are most in demand in British Columbia, Manitoba, Prince Edward Island, and New Brunswick in the following streams:

The Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot

As an experienced machinist or machine operator, you may be eligible to apply for permanent residence through the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot, which is aimed at skilled workers who have a job offer in one of the following provinces of Manitoba and British Columbia, which are all currently accepting applications:

  • Brandon, Manitoba
  • Brandon, Manitoba
  • Vernon, British Columbia; and
  • West Kootenay(Trail, Castlegar, Rossland, Nelson), British Columbia

Atlantic Immigration Pilot

Because machine operators are classified at TEER level 2 as well as in demand in New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island, you may be eligible to apply for your Canadian visa under The Atlantic Immigration Pilot. It is a community-driven employer-specific pilot that assists skilled workers to immigrate to Canada if they have a valid job offer in one of the participating provinces.

What Canada Offers Machinist or Machine Operators

According to IndeedCanada, Machinists can expect an average salary of CAD 79,324 in 2023. At the same time, experienced machine operators can expect an average salary of CAD 69,982 in 2023 as per data on the same site. With hundreds of machinist jobs currently available in Canada and having the right work experience, qualifications, and training, you could be coming to Canada sooner than you think.

Equipping you With the Tools to Immigrate to Canada Today

Equipping you with the tools to Move to Canada Today!

Applying for a Canadian visa can be time-consuming and confusing. With strict deadlines, procedures, and requirements, it can be easy to make a mistake that could cost you your chance to immigrate to Canada as a machinist or machine operator.

But with the guidance and assistance of one of our knowledgeable Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs), the process will be stress-free.

When you choose to use our expertise and government-trusted services, you will receive

  • An in-depth eligibility assessment
  • Guidance on which of 100+ immigration programs and visas to choose from
  • An immigration plan tailored to your individual needs
  • A review and submission of all application forms and documentation; as well as
  • Support through every step of the application process



What is the Best Place to Move to Canada as a Machine Operator or Machinist?

The best place to move to as a machinist or machine operator in Canada is Toronto since it offers the highest chances for employment.

What is the Average Salary/Wage for a Machinist in Canada?

According to IndeedCanada, The average salary/wage for a machinist in Canada is CAD 79,324 per year.

Which city has the Highest Number of Machinists or Machine Operators?

Toronto, Canada’s most highly populated city, has the most number of individuals employed as machinists or machine operators.