Move to Canada as a System Administrator

Computer technicians are one of the most in-demand jobs in Canada, not only because of its bustling tech hubs such as British Columbia but because of the fantastic work benefits and salaries for IT professionals.

Top tech giants such as Axis Communications in Canada understand the high-pressure environment that their employees are and understand the importance of having a work-life balance. As a system administrator living and working in Canada you will have access to work benefits such as:

  • Sabbatical leave;
  • Career development;
  • Flexible work environments;
  • Wellness Programs & Life Coaching;
  • In-Office Entertainment;
  • Childcare.

On top of these wonderful benefits, you can look forward to an attractive paycheck. According to Payscale, as an experienced systems administrator, you could earn up to $80,000 per year when you move to Canada.

What's more, as a permanent resident your family members have access to the same incredible benefits as other Canadians do such as free universal healthcare as well as public schooling and much more.

Ready to find out how you can join Canada’s tech community?

To speak to one of our consultants and have your eligibility assessment done by a verified service, simply click the link below or continue reading to find out which options are best for paralegals wanting to live and work in Canada in 2020.

Top Cities to Live and Work in Canada as Tech Professional

Vancouver False Creek at night | move to Canada

Canada has a number of tech hubs for systems administrators most of which can be found in British Columbia and Alberta. Below are some of the top cities to live and work in Canada as a tech worker as well as the immigration programs that can help you get there.

Top Cities to Move to in Canada as a Tech Worker
Edmonton, Alberta
Calgary, Alberta
Victoria, British Columbia
Toronto, British Columbia
Ottawa, Ontario
Waterloo, Ontario
Hamilton, Ontario
Montreal, Quebec

What Do I Need to Work in Canada as a Systems Administrator?

Computer systems manager with team of tech workers | move to Canada

All occupations in Canada are classified according to the National Occupation Classification (NOC) system based on skill level and job type. Systems administrators or Computer and Information systems managers are classified as skill level 0.

This means that you will require a bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, business administration, commerce or engineering. 

You will also need several years of work experience relevant to your occupation.

How Can I Get Permanent Residence in Canada as a System Administrator?

There are two main ways to become a system administrator in Canada:

  • Study in Canada; or
  • Immigrate to Canada

1. Study in Canada

University of British Columbia | immigrate to Canada

The best way to move to Canada and become a system administrator is to get your qualification in Canada. By studying in Canada you will not have access to an internationally acclaimed education system that will set you up for a world-class career but will also give you the opportunity to stay on and live and work in Canada through immigration programs such as the Post-Graduate Work Program (PGWP).

Although the PGWP does not give you permanent residence immediately it will give you the opportunity to gain enough work experience that you need to apply for permanent residency in Canada. Certain Canadian provinces also have immigration programs specifically dedicated to international students who have studied in the province or territory and want to become a permanent resident.

Some top tech universities to consider:

  • University of British Columbia;
  • University of Waterloo;
  • University of Toronto;
  • The University of Alberta;
  • Carleton University;
  • McGill University;
  • University of Montreal;
  • University of Ottawa;
  • Concordia University.
  • Western University
  • University of Victoria; and
  • Simon Fraser University.

2. Canadian Immigration Options

Canada visa in passport | move to Canada

As a highly-skilled professional, there are various options available for you to move to Canada.

Two of the most popular Canadian Immigration pathways for tech workers are:

  1. The Express Entry System;
  2. Provincial Nominee Programs;

1. Express Entry

The Express Entry (EE) system is a points-based system that manages 3 Canadian federal economic immigration programs:

  • The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP);
  • The Federal Trade Worker Program (FSTP); and
  • The Canada Experience Class (CEC).

As a systems administrator, you could be eligible to apply for permanent residence through the FSWP or the CEC (if you have at least 1 year of Canadian work experience) and could get permanent residence in Canada in as little as 6 months!

2. Provincial Nominee Program

The Provincial Nominee Program allows you to live and work in Canada if you have the necessary skills that your chosen province or territory needs. Almost all Canadian provinces/territories have their own PNPs, each with its own eligibility requirements.

Unlike the Express Entry system, you may need a job offer in Canada to qualify for a provincial nomination, which is worth 600 extra PR points. This means that you’ll have a higher chance of being invited to apply for Canadian permanent residence.

If you want to move to one of Canada’s tech hubs or be located in a province where your job is in demand, you may want to consider some of these PNP streams:

Canadian Immigration for Tech Professionals
Province/TerritoryImmigration Stream/Category
British ColumbiaTech Pilot
Newfoundland & LabradorSkilled Worker Stream
OntarioExpress Entry Human Capital Priorities Stream
Express Entry French-speaking Skilled Worker Stream
SaskatchewanInternational Skilled Worker Category: Express Entry

Visit our blog here for more information on how to immigrate to Canada in 2020.

Ready to start your digital Canadian journey? Simply click the link below and let's get started!

How We Can Help You Make Your Move to Canada

tech worker at desk with colleagues in office | immigrate to Canada

Applying for a visa can be time-consuming and confusing. With strict deadlines, procedures and requirements to adhere to, it can be easy to make a mistake that could cost you your chance to immigrate to Canada. But with the guidance and assistance of one of our knowledgeable Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCIC’s), the process will be stress-free.

When you choose to use our expert and government trusted services, you will receive:

  • An in-depth eligibility assessment
  • Guidance on which of 100+ immigration programs and visas to choose from;
  • An immigration plan tailored to your individual needs;
  • A review and submission of all application forms and documentation; as well as
  • Support through every step of the application process.

All you have to do is fill out our application form to receive your eligibility assessment and let us take care of the rest. It’s just that simple! Your Canadian journey starts here.

Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram to stay up to date on Canadian immigration and visa news.