So you’ve decided to move to Northern Canada. Exciting! Moving and starting afresh is very exciting, but it can also be very stressful. Starting over in a whole new place means you have to find housing, employment, and everything in between in your new home land. We know this can be overwhelming, so we’ve found some of the top in-demand jobs in Northern Canada for you to have a look at, so you can tick job searching off your to-do list.
Job opportunities in Northern Canada
There are plenty of jobs in Canada, and the country is in need of foreign workers to fill the gap in many career fields. But you’re moving to the North right? So let’s talk about jobs in Northern Canada regions, such as Yukon, Northwest Territories like the Dehcho region and Nunavut.
Jobs in Yukon
The Yukon territory is known for its marvellous mountains and its great outdoors. There are many jobs in Yukon in a number of different career fields. These in-demand jobs also require varying degrees of skill. For example, the jobs available range from registered nurses, IT professionals to cooks , receptionists and early childhood educators.
No matter what your profession or what type of job you are looking for, there are many different job options available in Yukon.
Not moving to Yukon? Let’s take a look at jobs elsewhere in the North.
Let’s go to the Dehcho region
Like with Yukon, this region pronounced ‘De - cho’ has many job opportunities to offer in various career fields. These jobs are not limited to a certain occupation, so there is a good chance that the job you wish to do is in demand here.
Last stop: Nunavut!
If you love nature; beautiful seas and mountains, then Nunavut is a great place for you. Nunavut is a great environment to settle in, not only because of the surroundings, but also because this territory is seeking people like you, who want to immigrate to Canada to come and work here. If this sounds like you, have a look at some of the many jobs Nunavut has to offer.
These three Northern territories have plenty of jobs to choose from. But before you can decide where you would like to work, let’s talk about the best ways that you can immigrate to Canada.
Top visa programs to immigrate up North
Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot
The main goal of this program is to build smaller communities and strengthen the economy. This program aims to make it easier for immigrants to move to Canada as there is a demand for many workers in various industries. By making the immigration process simple, it's easier for immigrants to apply and start working in Canada sooner.Who can apply?
Let’s take a look at what you need to qualify for the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot. In order to qualify for this program, you need to meet the following requirements:
- At least 1 year of work experience within the past 3 years or:
- Have completed studies and graduated from a tertiary institution in the community you wish to immigrate to
- Take an English or French language test to prove that you will be able to communicate in Canada effectively
- Have attended a high school in Canada or:
- Take an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)
- Must live and work in the region of the pilot program
- Each community will have their own unique requirements that you’ll need to meet, aside from the federal requirements mentioned above.
If you’ve made up your mind about which province to move to and you’re planning on immigrating to Yukon then you could apply through the Yukon Provincial Nominee Program.
The Yukon Provincial Nominee Program
This program has five different categories that you can choose to apply for. These categories are:
- Express Entry
- Skilled Worker Program
- Critical Impact Worker Program
- Business Nominee Program
- Yukon Community Pilot
Applicants who apply through Express Entry will be entered into the federal Express Entry pool. This stream allows the relevant province to nominate applicants who qualify for the set requirements of the stream.
Skilled Worker Program
This program is has two categories, namely:
- The Skilled Worker Category
- The Critical Impact Category
In order to apply through the skilled worker category, you need to have a job offer arranged in Yukon. The job you obtain should be included in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) 0, A, or B categories.
The Critical Impact Worker Program allows employers to nominate workers who have experience in jobs classified as low-skilled, for Canadian permanent residence.
In order to qualify for this program, you need to meet the following requirements:
- Have been employed by the same employer offering a permanent position
- Have a valid work permit for at least 6 months before applying, or:
- Obtain a score of at least 55 points on the Yukon Nominee Program Pre-Assessment points grid, and:
- Obtain a minimum score of at least 55 points on the Yukon Nominee Program
Yukon Community Pilot
This stream allows you to work for a maximum of three different employers in one of the participating Yukon communities. The participating communities are:
- Watson Lake
- Dawson City
- Haines Junction
This work permit is valid for two years and does not require a Labour Market Impact Assessment.
To qualify for this stream, you need to:
- Have 2 or 3 job offers
- Have signed a letter of support received from the Government of Yukon
- Working hours must be 30 hours per week in total (the same as a full-time job)
- Meet the general requirements for a work permit
Business Nominee Program
If you are interested in running your own business and you have proved entrepreneurial and business skills, then this program is the perfect fit for you. If you meet the following requirements, you could operate your own business in Yukon.
In order to apply for this program, you need to meet the following criteria:
- Have completed high school
- Have 5 years or work experience in ownership and management of a business
- Meet the following investment requirements: Investment: $300, 000 Canadian dollars (CAD), Personal net worth: $500,000 CAD
So now you have a better idea of what Northern Canada has to offer. Not only are there beautiful, refreshing surroundings, but there are also a variety of job opportunities to choose from.
Get a head start on your journey to Canada. Let us help you see if you qualify to apply.