Located in the beautiful province of Newfoundland and Labrador, Memorial University is a renowned institution that has significantly contributed to education, research, and innovation. Established in 1925, Memorial University has earned an excellent reputation, attracting students worldwide. With its diverse range of academic programs and world-class facilities, Memorial University provides a stimulating learning environment for students pursuing higher education. If you want to study in Canada and be in a setting close to the sea, consider applying to this institution.
History of Memorial University of Newfoundland
Memorial University of Newfoundland is the only university in Newfoundland and Labrador. This means that this institution has a significant commitment to educating the inhabitants of this province. The institution of higher learning was established to memorialize Newfoundlanders who died serving in the First World War and the conflicts that followed.
The Memorial University College was founded on September 15, 1925, on Merrymeeting Road and Parade Street in St. John's. It had just five faculty members and 55 full-time students. This would become an institution of scholarship and quality, opportunity, and equality. In just two decades, the college extended its academic offerings to include pre-degree programs in agriculture, medicine, dentistry, and engineering. These were on top of other offerings such as teaching training, chemistry, physics, mathematics, history, English, French, German, etc.
With humble beginnings, as a small teachers' training school almost 100 years ago, the university has transformed into a comprehensive doctoral university with more than 100 degree options over the years. It continues to operate as a platform for honoring their enormous sacrifices by educating the province's citizens.
When it comes to rankings, Memorial University of Newfoundland does quite well. Below are some of its ranking:
- Times Higher Education 2024 - 501 to 600
- Times Higher Education Impact Rankings 2023 - 101 to 200
- Shanghai Rankings- 701 - 800
- QS Top Universities Rankings 2024 - 641 to 650
Memorial University of Newfoundland Campuses
Memorial University's largest campus, St John's Campus, is situated in the province's capital city, St John's. The campus has a wide range of academic offerings in a modern, urban environment. It houses teaching and research facilities for Memorial's faculties and schools. It is also the university's administrative headquarters.
You'll find tons of programs at the St John's Campus in the following fields:
- Human Kinetics & Recreation
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Social Work
Memorial University of Newfoundland's Grenfell Campus is situated in Corner Brook, on the island's west coast. This is a liberal arts and science campus which specializes in environmental and fine arts programs.
Grenfell Campus has four schools:
- The School of Arts and Social Science
- The School of Fine Arts
- The School of Science and the Environment
- Western School of Nursing
The Marine Institute
Another Memorial University campus in St John's is the Marine Institute. Not only is it Canada's education hub for fisheries and marine training, its also one of the world's biggest marine educational facilities. The Marine Institute is the country's top center for applied research, providing industrial support for Canada's ocean industries.
It has over 30 industry-driven programs from which you can obtain qualifications that range from technical certificates to PhDs. Classes are small, and tuition rates are competitive and affordable for international students. There are three schools within the Institute: the School of Fisheries, the School of Maritime Studies, and the School of Ocean Technology. Within these schools, you'll find several centers and units that specialize in this subject area.
Signal Hill Campus
Memorial University's Signal Hill Campus was founded in September 2018. The campus focuses on public engagement and innovation. These are tools that will be utilized to assist with 21st-century issues as students, faculty members, and staff engage with the region's citizens and organizations.
Memorial University's newest Campus, Labrador Campus, was established in 2022 in Happy Valley-Goose Bay. The campus builds on 42 years of the Labrador Institute in this area. This campus is home to the School of Arctic and Subarctic Studies, as well as the Pye Centre for Northern Boreal Food Systems.
The Labrador Campus commits to Northern-led, Northern-focused, and Northern-inspired research and education. It will make every effort to carry the educational goals, research priorities, and well-being of people in Labrador and across the North. With the campus positioned within the homelands of the Innu and Inuit, it has a special obligation to the First Nations Peoples of the region.
Harlow Campus, UK
Harlow Campus is Memorial University's international campus. It is one of just two universities in the Great White North with an academic presence in the United Kingdom (UK). The campus offers a wide range of programs, including:
- Fine Arts (Theatre and Visual Arts)
Faculties and Academic Programs at Memorial University
Memorial University offers a wide array of academic programs across various faculties, catering to its students' diverse interests and aspirations. The university provides a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate degrees from arts and sciences to business, engineering, medicine, and more. With its world-class faculty members and state-of-the-art facilities, Memorial University ensures that students receive a high-quality education and gain the necessary skills to excel in their chosen fields.
Here is a list of the university's faculties:
- The Faculty of Business Administration
- The Faculty of Education
- The Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science
- The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- The Faculty of Medicine
- The Faculty of Nursing
- The Faculty of Science
- The Marine Institute
Here is a list of the university's Schools:
- School of Fisheries
- School of Maritime Studies
- School of Ocean Technology
- School of Arctic and Subarctic Studies
- School of Graduate Studies
- School of Human Kinetics and Recreation
- School of Music
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Social Work
- School of Arts & Social Science
- School of Fine Arts
- School of Science and the Environment
Unique Memorial University Courses
Included in Memorial University of Newfoundland's academic offerings are some one-of-a-kind programs. They are as follows:
- A unique program in Ocean and Naval Architectural Engineering
- The country's only MBA in social enterprise and entrepreneurship
- Canada's only Anglophone university offering comprehensive undergraduate and graduate folklore programs
- The country's only ROV Operator Program
- The country's first joint degree in music and business
- Atlantic Canada's first master of occupational health and safety degree
- Atlantic Canada's only four-year bachelor of fine arts degree that has acting or theatre variations
The Internationalization of Memorial University
Memorial University prides itself on connecting students, faculty, and staff from Canada and other countries to build mutual respect, cultural understanding, and meaningful engagement.
The Canadian Association for Graduate Studies states that Newfoundland and Labrador has the highest number of full-time international master's and doctoral students in Canada. Here are the statistics:
- The university hosts more than 3,400 international students from over 110 countries
- Around 20% of the student body are international students
- Almost 40% of all graduate students are international students
- The university has 125 exchange agreements with over 40 countries
Start Your Academic Journey at Memorial University as an International Student
Below are the steps you need to follow to apply to Memorial University as an international student in Canada.
Step 1: Do Enough Research on the University
Explore the university's website and then contact a representative for more detailed information. The university's student resource platform, MUNup, is also quite helpful. So make sure you get up to date on the available preparation and orientation programs, services, virtual events, and community engagement opportunities available.
Step 2: Check Whether You Meet the Minimum Admission Requirements
Ensure you meet the university's admission requirements to avoid disappointment. The general admission requirements are as follows:
- You must be in good academic standing with your previous or current school or university
- You must meet the English language requirement
Step 3: Choose Your Program
Check whether the university offers the program you wish to enroll in.
Step 4: Choose Your Campus
Check which campus offers the program you wish to take.
Step 5: Make Sure You Have All Required Documents
To apply to Memorial University, you must have all the requested documentation. This includes documents detailing your full academic history, high school results, and certificates.
Step 6: Apply Online
Apply to Memorial University early and send through all requested paperwork at least two months before the semester starts.
Accommodation is an important part of planning your journey as an international student in Canada. Luckily, Memorial University of Newfoundland has a student residence option that is convenient and safe. Finding on-campus accommodation will allow you to get the most out of your student experience here. You'll be on campus ground, so there'll be no rush for transport. You'll also be surrounded by fellow students all the time.
You get to choose from the following student accommodation options:
Why Study at Memorial University?
There are many reasons to pursue your academic goals at Memorial University of Newfoundland. Here are just some of them:
- The university's fees are more affordable than other Canadian institutions. You can get a quote for fees from the university.
- The University's strong industry connections and cooperative education programs allow you to gain valuable work experience and build a solid network.
- It is one of the top 20 research universities in Canada
- The university has a strong start-up and entrepreneurial culture
- The university is situated in Atlantic Canada, so you'll be able to study in a coastal setting
Campus Life and Facilities at Memorial University
Memorial University boasts vibrant campus life and state-of-the-art facilities, providing students with an enriching and fulfilling university experience. The university's campuses, spread across multiple locations in Newfoundland and Labrador, offer many amenities, including modern classrooms, research laboratories, libraries, sports facilities, and student residences. Furthermore, Memorial University's numerous student clubs, societies, and extracurricular activities ensure that students have ample opportunities to engage in social, cultural, and recreational activities.
How do I Apply for a Canadian Study Permit to Legally Study in Canada?
To apply for a Canadian Study permit, you need to take the following steps:
- Step 1: Check your eligibility
- Step 2: Get a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
- Step 3: Gather all required documents
- Step 4: Apply online
Which Fees Must I Pay When I Apply For a Canadian Study Permit?
You will have to pay processing fees, biometric fees, as well as fees for your medical exam, police certificates, and language testing.