Study in Canada: How to Ace Your Student Visa Application

Without a doubt, one of the best ways to become a permanent resident in Canada is to study in Canada. Now it goes without saying that you have to complete whichever course you enroll in. It also goes without saying that permanent residency is not the only reason to choose to study in Canada. Aside from fantastic job prospects awaiting you after graduation, the Canadian student experience is one of the best in the world. Canada’s post secondary education institutions also rank amongst the best in the world. It doesn’t matter whether you are considering a trade school, a community college or a university, you will earn a top tier certification that can be put to use anywhere in the world. Although, dare we say it, once you have experienced the Canadian quality of life, you won’t want to ply your trade anywhere but right here in the Great White North.

How to Apply for a Canadian Student Visa

Graduation Canadian Student Visa

Whether you know where you want to study, what you want to study or have already applied to a school or institution, once you have been accepted the biggest step is applying for your Canadian student visa. Once you have submitted your application for a Canadian study permit to the Immigration and Refugee Council of Canada (IRCC), the only thing you want to hear back is that your student visa has been approved, not that you are missing one important document or left spaces blank on your forms.

Canadian Student Visa Requirements:

  • Proof of Acceptance - this will be provided to you by the institution you have applied to. If you have to take prerequisite courses, such as English or French before you can start your actual studies, you will be granted a shortened study permit, and will need to reapply for an extension once you start your actual program.
  • Proof of Identity - you will need a valid passport or travel document. If you have any family members (partner or children) accompanying you, they will require the same.
  • Proof of Financial Support - in addition to your proof of your tuition fees you must show you have a minimum of $10,000 per year to support your living expenses. You can use any of the following methods as proof:
    • Canadian bank account in your name with minimum amount;
    • Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a Canadian financial institution;
    • Proof of a student loan from your bank;
    • Your bank statements from the past four months
    • A bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars;
    • Proof you have paid the tuition and housing fees upfront;
    • A letter from a person or school sponsoring your education and expenses; or
    • If you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program, proof thereof.
  • If you have a partner or children accompanying you, in addition to your own $10,000 you will need to show $4,000 for the first dependant, $3,000 for the second dependent and so on.
  • Letter of Explanation - attach a letter to your application which outlines your goals. Namely, why you want to study in Canada and that you understand your responsibilities to your institution and as a student

If the amount of financial support is scaring you a little, remember that there are plenty of bursaries and scholarships available to foreign students in Canada. You are also allowed to work on and off campus, part time, to supplement your finances while you are studying. Dependents who are not minors will also be allowed to apply for a work permit to work legally in Canada while you are studying.

Student Direct Stream

Diversity Canadian Student Visa

If you live in China, India, Morocco, Pakistan, the Philippines, Senegal or Vietnam you are eligible for the Student Direct Stream (SDS). The benefit of this system is you can have your Canadian study permit in as little as 20 days. Some of the requirements are more stringent, you will need to show:

  • your letter of acceptance;
  • financial support - you will have to have paid your first year of tuition up front, and have a GIC with a minimum sum of $10,000;
  • a medical exam and police certificate (if required);
  • your most recent secondary or post secondary school transcripts; and
  • results for your Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) showing a minimum score of 6 for English (IELTS) or 7 for French (TEF.)

What most important is paperwork, making sure it’s all there, all in order and all complete, that’s where we come in.

How We Can Help You

We can make sure there is no reason for your Canadian student visa to not be approved. By using our accredited Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) you will not only improve your chances of success in the visa application process, but you will get expert advice on which program is best for your specific needs. Our RCICs are highly qualified and are granted permission by the ICCRC to assist you with your eligibility evaluation, review all your documents and application forms and submit them to the Canadian government for you. Why take the chance of having your application denied because your forms are incorrect or sent in too late.

We can help get your academic career underway in Canada, and when the time comes to submit your permanent residency application, we will have you covered with that too. All you have to do is complete our application form to receive your eligibility assessment today. It's just that simple.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn for up to date information and interesting blog posts on Canadian Immigration.