New Changes for International Students to Study in Canada in 2020

Canada has recently announced that international students can now study in Canada through online courses at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) and still qualify to stay on and work in Canada through the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP).

Previously, in order to qualify for the PGWPP, foreign students would need to have completed a full-time qualification (diploma, degree or certificate) at a DLI in a program of 8 months or longer. Usually, online courses do not qualify for the PGWPP however due to the pending COVID-19 restrictions Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has decided to allow students to study abroad through their DLI and complete up to 50% of their course and still remain eligible. And because the length of time that your PGWPP is valid usually matches the length of your course studied in Canada, the IRCC has decided that the time spent outside of Canada from the beginning of your fall semester until December 31, 2020, will not be deducted from your PGWPP. Another great change made in light of COVID-19 restrictions is that the IRCC will continue to accept applications for study permits and PGWPs even if the application does not have the necessary supporting documents such as biometrics, medical examinations and travel documents. Your application will simply be put on hold, giving you the time you need to collect the necessary documentation to complete your application. 

There are more than 640,000 international students currently studying in Canada, and you could join them! To speak to one of our immigration experts or one of our student advisors simply click the link below, complete the online contact and get ready to start the journey for a lifetime!

Choosing the Right DLI for the PGWP

university of toronto | study in Canada

The Post-graduation Work Program allows international students to stay and work in Canada once they have completed their studies in Canada through a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). A DLI is a university, college or a school that has been approved by the government and there are currently 1542 DLIs for you to choose from to study in Canada in almost every province and territory. To choose the best DLI it is important to not only find a university or college that offers the course you wish to study but is located in a province or territory that you want to live and work in Canada after you graduate.

For more information on the Top 10 Designated Learning Institutions (DLI’S) in Canada to apply to in 2020 visit our blog here.

What Do I Need to Apply to Study in Canada?

beautiful Asian student with other students at university in Canada | study in Canada

Once you’ve chosen which DLI, you will need a study permit as well as a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). The study permit will allow you to study in Canada while the eTA or TRV will allow you to enter Canada. Below are the criteria that need to be met in order to apply for your study permit:

  • Meet the admission requirements of your DLI;
  • Meet general requirements to enter Canada;
  • Valid Passport;
  • Updated CV/Resume;
  • Letter of intent;
  • Language results from approved test;
  • Proof of funds to support yourself during your stay in Canada;
  • Medical certificate;
  • Police Clearance; and
  • Proof that you intend to leave after your studies;

Masters and PhD applicants will also need:

  • 2 Letters of Academic reference;
  • Employment references; and
  • An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) is studied outside Canada.

Why language tests are so important

As English and French are the national languages of Canada, your courses will be taught in either language. It is therefore extremely important that you not only meet the minimum requirements but improve your skills as much as possible so that it does not hinder your ability to understand your lecturer or content of your syllabus.

IELTS testing centres are starting to commence with testing as COVID-19 restrictions start to ease. IELTS testing is currently available in the following 29 countries:

  • Argentina (IELTS and IELTS for UKVI)
  • Australia (IELTS and IELTS for UKVI)
  • Azerbaijan (IELTS and IELTS for UKVI)
  • Brazil
  • Belarus
  • Brunei
  • Bulgaria (IELTS and IELTS for UKVI)
  • Cambodia (IELTS and IELTS for UKVI)
  • Canada (IELTS and IELTS for UKVI)
  • Czech Republic (IELTS and IELTS for UKVI)
  • Denmark
  • Fiji (IELTS and IELTS for UKVI)
  • Hong Kong (IELTS and IELTS for UKVI)
  • Hong Kong (Macao)
  • Kazakhstan
  • Korea (IELTS and IELTS for UKVI)
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania (IELTS and IELTS for UKVI)
  • Malaysia (IELTS and IELTS for UKVI)
  • Mexico
  • Mongolia
  • New Zealand (IELTS and IELTS for UKVI)
  • Nigeria
  • Norway
  • Oman (IELTS and IELTS for UKVI)
  • Poland
  • Taiwan, China (IELTS and IELTS for UKVI)
  • Thailand (IELTS and IELTS for UKVI)
  • Sweden (Goteborg)
  • Switzerland
  • Russia
  • Vietnam (IELTS and IELTS for UKVI)

Need help preparing for your upcoming IELTS? Take a look at our IELTS Preparation Course.

We Take the Stress Out of the Application Process

RCIC helping applicant apply for their Canada visa  and study in Canada

When you choose to study in Canada, you choose to give yourself a world-class education, create new job opportunities and give yourself the gift of a new life in one of the most multicultural and dynamic countries in the world. But making this dream a reality is not always as easy as it seems.

Navigating the Canadian immigration system and visa application process can be complicated and time-consuming. With a copious amount of forms and documents to complete as well as strict submission dates to adhere to, we wouldn’t blame you if you were hesitant about getting started. But that's what we’re here for.

At, we take the stress and hassle out of your visa application. Our accredited RCICs (Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants) are ready to evaluate your eligibility, review all documentation and submit all documentation on your behalf. Using an RCIC not only gives you the best possible chance of receiving an ITA but will make the entire process simple and stress-free.

We take care of the paperwork while you prepare to study or live and work in Canada. All you have to do is complete our online form and we’ll take care of the rest. It's just that simple.