Help Your Spouse Get Work in Canada in 2020

Did you know that your spouse or common-law partner can not only join you in Canada when you immigrate but can also find employment? By having permanent residence in Canada, your loved ones will have access to all the amazing benefits afforded to you, including free public healthcare, schooling for your children up until grade 12 and much more.

Earlier this year, the IRCC (Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada) announced that they would be extending the Open Work Permit, until 31 July 2020. This permit allows your spouse to work freely in Canada until they have obtained permanent residency status.

In order to be eligible to apply for this fantastic opportunity, you would need to be able to support your spouse or common-law partner financially, without social assistance from the government.

With this amazing opportunity at your fingertips, you may be asking how you can find a job offer in Canada? With over 433,000 positions currently available in the private sector, your spouse will have their pick of some of the top-paying jobs in the country, particularly in the following industries, for instance:

Average Income in Canada by Industry Sector
IndustryAverage Annual Income (CAD)
Accounting, Administration & HR$46,370
Childcare and Education$47,313
Construction and Maintenance$52,097
Healthcare and Social Services$60,858
Information Technology$78,488
Sales and Marketing$62,510

For tips on how to how to land a Canadian job offer, visit our blog here.

Although the Canadian immigration system has become more accessible to foreign applicants, it can still be quite a confusing and cumbersome task to undergo alone. But by using our services, it doesn’t have to be. Using a paid immigration service not only speeds up the process but improves your chances of success. Government immigration officials are more likely to approve an application that has been processed by an organisation that they have entrusted to handle visa application submissions than those that have been submitted directly by an applicant, as there is more of a risk that documents have not been completed correctly, nor been verified.

To speak to one of our accredited RCICs (Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants), simply click the link below or keep reading to find out how you can help your loved one live their best life in one of the most culturally diverse and dynamic countries in the world.

What is the Open Work Permit Pilot and How Does It Work?

work permit approved | permanent residency in Canada

Canada is big on helping families integrate into Canadian life together. The government has therefore made a special allowance for spouses and common-law partners who would like to earn a living, in the form of the Open Work Permit.

By having permanent residence in Canada, your spouse, common law or conjugal partner is not only able to relocate with you but will also be able to work until their residency status has been approved. The Open Work Permit pilot specifically allows spouses or common-law partners who are currently living in Canada and are sponsored for permanent residence in Canada through the spousal and Common-Law Partner Program, to work in any occupation, for any employer anywhere in Canada.

You will need to meet the following criteria in order to be deemed eligible to help your loved one apply for the Open Work Permit:

  • Have submitted a permanent residence application through the Spousal and Common Law Partner sponsorship program;
  • Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident in Canada;
  • Have proof that you have been living with your spouse or common-law partner for at least 12 consecutive months; and
  • Have a valid temporary resident status in Canada.

How We Can Help You With Your Application

happy couple applying for work permit | permanent residency in Canada

There are 3 possible ways to apply for an Open Work Permit:

  1. Submit your work permit application with your sponsorship application (having already submitted your permanent residence application);
  2. If you haven’t already submitted your permanent residence application, submit your work permit application separately; or
  3. If your permanent residence application has been approved, but your background checks haven’t, you can apply for your Open Work Permit online.

Immigration to Canada can be both complex and confusing. By using our accredited Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) you will not only optimize your chances of success in the visa application process, but you will receive expert advice on which program is best for your personal needs. Our RCICs are registered with the ICCRC and are legally permitted to assist you by evaluating your eligibility, reviewing all documentation and submitting it to the Canadian government on your behalf.

Using an RCICnot only gives you the best possible chance of receiving an ITA but will make the entire process simple and stress-free. We handle the paperwork while you choose your dream job in Canada. All you have to do is fill out our application form to receive your assessment today and we’ll take care of the rest. It's just that simple.