Earn up to $75,532 Per Year as a Long Haul Truck Driver in Canada

Truck drivers are currently in high demand in many of Canada’s provinces and territories, and getting permanent residence also comes with many added benefits that you just can’t pass up!

When you choose to immigrate to Canada as a truck driver, you can earn up to $75,532 per year, and what's more, become a permanent resident. With this comes amazing benefits such as free universal healthcare along with free secondary education for your young ones in some of the world’s most renowned schools.

There are currently over 7,900 jobs available for truck drivers in Canada on websites such as Workopolis, and with provinces such as Saskatchewan, Ontario and Alberta actively seeking truck drivers, your chances of receiving an ITA (Invitation to Apply) for permanent residence and being successful is greatly increased.

There are currently over 70 different ways to move to Canada but knowing which ones to choose that are both right for you and your specific need can be tricky.

But even with all of these opportunities and visa options to choose from, the process can still be extremely stressful and complex, but it doesn’t have to be. With experienced RCICs (Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants) by your side, you won’t have to worry about all the fine print and red tape that often goes hand in hand with immigration and visa applications. We’re here to guide you on your journey to living your Canadian dream with ease.

Ready to load up the family and relocate to Canada as a truck driver? Click the link below to start your journey to one of the most multicultural and diverse countries in the world. Keep reading for more information on which provinces to consider, what you’ll need and how to get there.

Which Provinces Need Transport Truck Drivers?

map of Canada provinces and territories | immigrate to Canada

Truck drivers are currently highly in demand, especially in farming communities. The following provinces urgently need highly skilled and experienced transport truck drivers to help ease the strain on the Canadian labour market:

Top Canadian Provinces for Truck Drivers
ProvinceAverage Salary/Year

What Do I Need to Apply for a Visa as a Truck Driver?

work wood brand font location logo application | immigrate to Canada

Different provinces may have varying criteria that need to be met but the general requirements to find employment as a truck driver in Canada are as follows:

  • Completion of secondary school is usually needed;
  • On-the-job-training is provided;
  • Completion of an accredited driver training course of up to 3 months duration, through a vocational school or community college, may be needed;
  • Class 3 or D licence is needed to drive straight-body trucks;
  • Class 1 or A licence is needed to drive long combination vehicles;
  • Air brake endorsement (Z) is needed for drivers who operate vehicles equipped with air brakes;
  • Transportation of dangerous goods (TDG) certification is needed for drivers who transport hazardous products or dangerous goods; and
  • Additional licensing endorsement or certification may be needed to drive articulated trucks.

How to Immigrate to Canada as a Truck Driver?

Truck driver | immigrate to Canada

The first step to determining how to immigrate to Canada in any profession is to find out what your NOC (National Occupation Code) is. The NOC code for truck drivers is 7511 and is classified under the trades category at skill level C. Your skill level determines which immigration program you qualify for.

There are various ways to move to Canada as a truck driver, but perhaps the most popular is to apply through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. This will let you get valuable work experience and eventually become eligible to apply for permanent residency through other immigration programs such as the Saskatchewan Long-Haul Truck Driver Project, which allows foreign workers with just 6 months of Canadian work experience to apply. This is, however, not the only provincial immigration option you can take. 

Provincial Nominee Program

11 out of Canada’s 13 provinces have PNPs (Provincial Nominee Programs), which are aimed at assisting you to apply to a specific province or territory if you have received a valid Canadian job offer in that province or territory. Each province has its own requirements and categories which have been created to meet the specific needs of its labour market.

Because drivers are in high demand in Alberta, Ontario and Saskatchewan, we strongly suggest that you consider the following PNPs in order to give yourself the best possible chance of receiving an ITA (Invitation to Apply) for permanent residence in Canada.

Other immigration avenues that you could take is the RINP (Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot), which allows skilled workers to immigrate to 11 participating communities in Ontario, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Manitoba and British Columbia.

What We Can Do to Optimize Your Canadian Visa Application

RCIC helping visa applicant immigrate to Canada

Navigating the Canadian immigration system can be a bit tedious, with a copious amount of forms and documents to complete and strict submission dates, we wouldn’t blame you if you felt apathetic about getting started on your application. But that's what we’re here for. At Canadian Visa, we take the stress and hassle out of planning to relocate abroad. Our accredited RCICs (Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants) are ready to evaluate your eligibility, review all documentation and submit all documentation on your behalf. Using an RCIC not only gives you the best possible chance of receiving an ITA but will make the entire process simple and stress-free.

We handle the paperwork while you choose your dream job in Canada. All you have to do is complete our online form and we’ll take care of the rest. It's just that simple.