How to Start Working in Canada in 6 Months From Now

Thousands of foreign nationals want to live and work in Canada and with the amazing benefits they could receive as an employee, we can’t blame them! By being an employee in Canada you would be part of a healthy work-life balance, giving yourself more time to explore and you could get paid leave days, allowing you to relax stress-free.

So what if I told you that you’re able to start working in Canada 6 months from now?

Let’s have a look at how that’s possible!

Canadian Work Permit Programs


There are two types of Canadian work visas that you can get. They are known as an open work permit and an employer-specific work permit. There are also several programs designed for foreign workers to obtain work permits. Below are some of the quicker programs to get you working in Canada faster.

1. Post-Graduation Work Permit

This program is a great way for international students studying in Canada to continue living in the country with an open work permit. You can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) if you:

  • Have completed an academic, vocational, or professional training program at an eligible institution in Canada for at least 8 months leading to a degree or diploma;
  • Are a full-time student;
  • Have a transcript and official letter from an eligible Designated Learning Institution (DLI) confirming that you have met the requirements of the program; and
  • Have or had a valid study permit or had the authorization to study without a study permit.

If successful, your PGWP can be valid for up to three years, the period of time will depend on the length of your study program. Please see how to determine your work permit length:

Determining the Length of Your PGWP
Length of Study Program Length of Work Permit
8 months to 2 years Same length as your study program (Master's and Doctoral candidates may be eligible for a 3-year work permit)
2 years or more 3 years
More than one program completed within 2 years Length of both programs combined (if the combined length is 2 years or longer the work permit should be valid for 3 years)

What is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)?

A Designated Learning Institution (DLI) is a university or college that is approved by a provincial or territorial government to allow international students to study there. Before you apply you need to ensure that the school you’re applying to is on the designated list.

Good to know:

You’ll have 180 days after you receive your transcripts from the DLI to apply for your PGWP. It’s important to stay within the specified time because if your study visa expires you’ll have to restore your status.

2. Canadian Working Holiday Visa


The Working Holiday Visa (WHV) is part of the International Mobility Program (IEC). The WHV is a temporary open work permit for citizens of 34 countries, who all have a youth mobility agreement with Canada. Depending on which country you’re from, the work visa can last anywhere from 12 to 24 months.

Please see eligible countries below:

Eligible Countries in the International Experience Canada (IEC) Program
ChileCosta RicaCroatia
Czech RepublicDenmarkEstonia
Hong KongIrelandItaly
JapanKorea, Rep.Latvia
NetherlandsNew ZealandNorway
PolandPortugalSan Marino
UkraineUnited Kingdom

How to apply for a Working Holiday Visa

  • Step 1: You’ll need to create a profile where you’ll be asked questions based on certain criteria.
  • Step 2: Then you’ll need to wait for the draw to take place which is where you’ll get your invitation. Once you’ve received your invitation you’ll have 10 days to complete your profile.
  • Step 3: Once your profile has been completed, then only may you submit your application. This has to be done within 20 days of receiving your invitation.

With the WHV, you can enjoy working in Canada within various positions and career fields such as:

  • Working in a cafe as a waitress;
  • Being an instructor at ski resorts;
  • Retail or deliver work

The processing time of the Working Holiday Visa is as short as eight weeks, which is a great benefit to you as you can start working in Canada 6 months from now. Not only that, but you’re able to travel all around Canada while you work.

3. Global Talent Stream

Are you a foreign highly-skilled worker? If yes, then the Global Talent Stream (GTS) is the perfect pathway for you to work in Canada. The GTS is designed to allow designated Canadian employers to easily hire immigrant workers for certain positions when there aren’t any Canadians or permanent residents available.

It’s important to note that you can’t directly apply for the GTS program yourself, the employers will make use of this program. The employers will need to apply to become a designated employer as well as get a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) in order to hire through the GTS program.

You can receive a job offer from a Canadian employer under two categories, they are:

Category A:

This category is for employers who have been referred to the Global Talent Stream by one of the stream’s designated partners. Employers are required to hire individuals with unique or specialized talent.

Category B:

This category is for employers who want to hire highly-skilled foreign workers to fill positions for in-demand jobs in Canada found on the Global Talent Occupations List.

You could qualify for this stream if your occupation is on the list, it includes:

  1. Computer and information systems managers
  2. Database analysts and data administrators
  3. Computer programmers and interactive media developers

What makes the GTS an incredible way to get a work visa is the fact that processing takes as quick as two weeks! This is another reason why employers favour the program too.

Turn Your Work Visa into a Permanent Visa


That’s right, working in Canada can lead to you becoming a Canadian permanent resident. This can be done through the Canadian Experience Class which falls under Express Entry. The Express Entry system is set to invite 108,500 immigrants in 2021 alone!

By having work experience, you’ll receive a higher Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score, which will improve your chances of getting your permanent residency.

So click on the link below and see which program you’re eligible for, and who knows, you could start working in Canada 6 months from now.