Work in Canada Through the Post Graduate Work Program (PGWP)

Are you a recent graduate in search of prosperous opportunities in Canada? If so then the PGWP (Post Graduate Work Permit) may be just what you’re looking for. There are currently over 433,000 available jobs in the private sector just waiting to be filled.  

The PGWP allows you to work in Canada once you have completed your studies at your DLI (designated learning institution) and get Canadian work experience, which is necessary when applying for permanent residency in Canada. This why choosing to study in Canada can be a life-changing decision as it not only gives you a world-class education but opens up so many opportunities as well as makes the visa application process much easier.

The permit application process can take up to 116 days so it best to get the ball rolling as soon as possible.   

Female graduate celebrating | work in Canada through the Post Graduate Work Program

Keep reading to find out if you qualify for the PGWP or simply click below to chat with one of our RCIC (Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants), who are ready and waiting to guide you through the entire application process and help you make your Canadian dream a reality. 

Am I Eligible for the PGWP?

Studying abroad, particularly in Canada, can set you on a path to success in your professional journey. If you are a graduate from one of the Canadian DLIs, you may be eligible to apply to work in Canada on a temporary basis. This will give you time to get enough Canadian work experience needed to be eligible to apply for Canadian permanent residency. Not sure if you qualify? Follow our simple step by step guide to finding out.

Step 1: Check if your university/college on the list of DLIs?

Canadian University of Toronto | work in Canada through the Post Graduate Work Program

Each province or territory has a list of institutions, including universities and colleges, that qualify for the PGWP. The top provinces with qualifying institutions include Ontario, Quebec, British Columbia, and Alberta. Nunavut is currently the only region that does not have any qualifying institutions. 

Provincial/Territorial DLIs Eligible for PGWP
1. Ontario491
2. Quebec430
3. British Columbia264
4. Alberta137
5. New Brunswick41
6. Manitoba39
7. Nova Scotia39
8. Newfoundland & Labrador 31
9. Saskatchewan 31
10. Prince Edward Island20
12. Northwest Territories3
13. Nunavut0

Step 2: Check if you meet the general eligibility criteria

female graduate checking to see if shes eligible to work in Canada through the Post Graduate Work Program

Once you have graduated, you will need to send in your application within 180 days after your final marks have been issued. Below are the necessary criteria to qualify for the PGWP. 

  • Completed a study program (degree, diploma, or certificate) at a DLI for at least 8 months;
  • Been a full-time student in Canada for each semester; and
  • Graduated from a public post-secondary school (college, trade/technical school/university; or
  • Graduated from a Canadian private school that provides degrees under provincial law (as long as it leads to a degree as authorized by the province).

Please note that Quebec has its own requirements and all applications will need to be made directly to the provincial immigration department.

It is also important to ensure that your passport is valid for the length of your PGWP. If not, you will need to apply on paper to extend your PGWP.

Long-Distance Learner? No problem. As long as your distance learning makes up less than 50% of your study program, you may be able to apply to work in Canada with a Post Graduate Work Permit. 

Step 3: Apply for your PGWP

online work permit application Canada | work in Canada through he Post Graduate Work Program

Applying for visas and permits can be complicated, which is why it is recommended to use a paid accredited immigration and visa consultant in order to avoid disappointment or delays.

It is important to make sure that you have all the necessary supporting documentation, which includes:

  • an official letter from your DLI confirming that you have completed your study program;
  • an official transcript or copy from your institution’s website;
  • Give your biometrics if you haven’t already done so;
  • Medical exams results;
  • Police clearance certificate.

You will also need to change your status from student to a visitor before your permit expires. 

The great part about the PGWP is that it allows you to work in Canada on a full-time basis while your application is being processed! This depends on whether you meet the requirements for working off-campus. 

How We Help You Fast-track Your Canadian Visa Application

person filling in application form to work in Canada through he Post Graduate Work Program

Navigating the Canadian immigration system can be a lengthy process, with a copious amount of forms and documents to complete and strict submission dates, we wouldn’t blame you if you feel scared about getting started on your application. But that's what we’re here for. At, we take the stress and hassle out of planning to relocate abroad. Our accredited RCICs (Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants) are ready to evaluate your eligibility, review all documentation and submit all documentation on your behalf. Using an RCIC not only gives you the best possible chance of receiving an ITA but will make the entire process simple and stress-free. 

We handle the paperwork while you choose your dream job in Canada. It's just that simple. All you have to do is click here and complete our online eligibility form and we’ll take care of the rest.