Best Universities in Canada to Get a Job After Graduation

Are you looking for an opportunity to live and work in Canada? There is a specific program designed to help Canadian graduates land their dream jobs in Canada.

The Post-graduation Work Program (PGWP) allows you to work in Canada temporarily after your studies and possibly even permanently in the future.

Getting a job often not only depends on your qualifications but your work experience too. Getting work experience is not always easy, especially since most job listings are either internships or ask for at least 2 years of work experience.

But what if we told you that studying in Canada could give you more advantages than you may think?

Not only can you get the work experience needed to apply for permanent residence in Canada but you could also earn extra permanent residence (PR) points to help you apply to live and work in Canada permanently.

Ready to find out how to apply to study in Canada to optimize your chances of getting one of thousands of jobs in Canada? Below is everything you need to know about the PGWP and some top tips on how to apply to Canadian universities that will open the doors to a sterling professional future and a chance to get permanent residency in Canada.

What is the PGWP?

Indian man at work in canada | study in canada

The Post-graduation Work Program is aimed at helping you temporarily live and work in Canada after you’ve acquired your Canadian qualification. In order to qualify you will need to study at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) or a school that has been approved by the government to host international students. 10 out of Canada’s 11 territories and provinces have DLI’s, however, the most can be found in Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia. There are currently 1542 DLIs to choose from to study in Canada.

In order to qualify to apply through the PGWP, you will need:

  • Completed your degree, diploma or certificate at a DLI in Canada;
  • Your qualification/course must be longer than 8 months;
  • Your qualification/course must be full-time; and
  • Your study permit must be valid when you apply.

You will have 180 days from when you receive your final results to apply through the PGWP. The visa process takes roughly 3 months after you’ve submitted your application. If you are successful, your PGWP will generally be valid for the same length of time as your course.

Best Places to Study in Canada for the PGWP

multi-ethnic students studying in canada at university campus

Knowing which universities to enrol in to study in Canada will not only ensure that you receive a world-class education but the best chances to get a job in Canada after your graduate.

Below are the top 10 Designated Learning Institutions (DLI’S) in Canada to apply to in 2020:

Top Canadian Universities in 2020
UniversityTop-ranked CoursesCity
1. University of Toronto
  • Applied Science and Engineering

  • Arts and Science

  • Architecture and Design

  • Medical and dentistry

  • Veterinary Science

  • Nursing

  • Pharmaceutical Science
  • Toronto (Ontario)
    2. McGill University
  • Medicine and dentistry

  • Veterinary Science

  • Nursing

  • Pharmaceutical Science

  • Medical and Biological Chemistry
  • Montreal (Quebec)
    3. University of British Columbia
  • Medical and Biological Chemistry

  • Communication and Media Studies

  • Medical and Biological Chemistry
  • Vancouver (British Columbia)
    4. University of Alberta
  • Medicine and dentistry

  • Veterinary Science

  • Nursing

  • Pharmaceutical Science

  • Business management

  • Economics
  • Accounting and Finance
  • Edmonton (Alberta)
    5. University of Montreal
  • Medicine and dentistry

  • Veterinary Science

  • Nursing

  • Pharmaceutical Science

  • Computer Science
  • Montreal (Quebec)
    6. McMaster University
  • Medicine and dentistry

  • Veterinary Science

  • Nursing

  • Pharmaceutical Science
  • Hamilton (Ontario)
    7. University of Waterloo
  • Engineering

  • Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering

  • Civil Engineering

  • Electrical and Electronic Engineering

  • Chemical Engineering
  • Waterloo (Ontario)
    8. Ryerson University
  • Masters of Science in Data Science and Analytics

  • Masters of Science (Computer Science)
  • Toronto (Ontario)
    9. York University
  • Communications in Media

  • Arts and Humanities

  • Design and Law

  • Social Sciences
  • Toronto (Ontario)
    10. Trent University
  • Applied Science and Engineering

  • Arts and Science

  • Architecture and Design
  • Peterborough (Ontario)

    How Do I Apply to Study in Canada

    smiling indian woman with laptop applying to study in canada

    Once you’ve chosen which place you would like to enrol in, the next step is to ensure that you have everything that you need to apply to study in Canada.

    What are the Requirements to Study in Canada?

    In order to study in Canada, you will need a study permit and either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). What’s the difference? Your study permit allows you to study in Canada while your TRV or eTA allows you to enter Canada. Whether you need a TRV or eTA depends on where you are applying from.

    Below is a list of requirements for your study permit:

    • Meet the admission requirements of your DLI;
    • Meet general requirements to enter Canada;
    • Valid Passport;
    • Updated CV/Resume;
    • Letter of intent;
    • Language results from approved test;
    • Proof of funds to support yourself during your stay in Canada;
    • Medical certificate;
    • Police Clearance; and
    • Proof that you intend to leave after your studies;

    Masters and PhD applicants will also need:

    • 2 Letters of Academic reference;
    • Employment references; and
    • An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) is studied outside Canada.

    Not sure if your language skills are up to scratch? Have a look at how we can help you prepare for success in your upcoming IELTS.

    How We Can Help You With Your Application

    RCIC helping applicants apply for their Canada visa | study in Canada

    When you choose to study in Canada, you choose to secure a bright new future in one of the most dynamic countries in the world. Not only will you get one a great education but you may get the opportunity to apply to stay in Canada through the PGWP and land your dream job in Canada.

    Navigating the Canadian immigration and visa application system can be complicated. With a copious amount of forms and documents to complete as well as strict submission dates to adhere to, we wouldn’t blame you if you were hesitant about getting started. But that's what we’re here for.

    At, we take the stress and hassle out of your visa application. Our accredited RCICs (Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants)are ready to evaluate your eligibility, review all documentation and submit all documentation on your behalf. Using an RCICnot only gives you the best possible chance of receiving an ITA but will make the entire process simple and stress-free.

    We take care of the paperwork while you prepare to study or live and work in Canada. All you have to do is complete our online form and we’ll take care of the rest. It's just that simple.

    Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram for up to date information on Canadian visa and immigration news.