How to Extend a Canadian Temporary Resident Visa

Moving to another country can be a life-changing experience and before doing so, you want to make sure that the country you’re moving to will resonate with the type of person you are, the lifestyle you want to live, and the type of work you want to do. For this reason, Canada’s Visitor Visa or the Temporary Resident Visa was created for people looking to visit Canada for a short period of time in order to learn more about the country before moving, or just for the sake of exploring.

There are two types of Temporary Resident Visas namely; a single entry visa and a multiple entry visa, both valid for fixed periods of time. And whether it's a single entry visa or a multiple entry visa, the visa can’t be used after its expiry date. Join us to find out how you can extend your Canadian Temporary Resident Visa. 

Extending your Temporary Resident Visa


If you wish to extend your Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), you will need to apply for a visitor record. Keep in mind that this document does have an expiry date and when expired, you will need to leave the country.

Applying for this document must be done 30 days before the expiry date found on the stamp in your passport, or on a supporting document given to you when first entering Canada.

However, if your visa does expire and you’re still waiting for your visitor record to be processed, you will still be able to stay in the country legally. This is known as “implied status,” or “maintained status.”

Looking to extend your visa? You will need to do so 30 days before your visa expires.

In order to extend your TRV, you will need;

  • To have entered Canada legally
  • A valid study permit; or
  • A valid work permit; and
  • A valid Canadian residential address;
  • Your current Canadian status to not be expired; and
  • to be in need of a Canadian temporary resident visa to return in the future

Single Entry Visa

If you’re planning to visit Canada with a single entry visa, you will only be allowed to enter the country once.

When you arrive in Canada, you will be met by an officer of the Canadian Border Services Agency who will be there to make sure you meet the requirements to enter the country. Once you have been approved, the officer will then authorize your stay and either stamp in your passport, give you an extra document to carry while you’re in the country, or both.

If you don’t receive a stamp, a handwritten date, or an extra document in your passport, keep in mind that your temporary resident visa will expire six months after the day you arrive in Canada. If you weren't given a visitor record, student, or work permit you can find the expiry date on the document.

But what if you leave Canada during the period of your authorized stay? You will need to get a new visitor visa to re-enter Canada. However, if you visit the United States or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon, you may return to Canada without getting a new visa under these conditions:

  • Return within your initial authorization period given to you by the immigration officer;
  • Have a valid visitor record, work permit, study permit, or a temporary resident permit.

Who needs a Temporary Resident Visa?
Visit - if you plan to visit Canada for a certain period of time, you may need to apply for a Temporary Visa
Study - if you wish to study in Canada, you will need a study permit or a temporary visa
Work - A work permit is needed for most temporary jobs (you may not need a work permit in some cases)

Multiple Entry Visa

As the name suggests, a multiple entry visa can be used to enter Canada several times over the period that the visa is valid.

A multiple entry visa can be valid up to a maximum of 10 years or one month prior to the expiry date of your passport or re-entry visa, whichever comes first.

If your multiple entry visa is approved, you will be able to enter and leave Canada as many times as you wish during the period of your visa. Keep in mind that you will not be able to receive a multiple entry visa if the expiration date of the visa falls after the expiration of your passport.

If this happens, you will need to get a new passport before applying for your visa.

If you’re someone who plans to move between Canada and your home country, a multiple entry visa would be the best option. Also, if you’re wanting to move between Canada and other countries, A multiple entry visa will also be recommended.

Keep in mind: Countries that fall under the visa-exempt foreign nationals list are not required to get a visa before travelling to Canada.

What is an eTA?


The Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a document that you can receive if you want to move to Canada while living in a country that falls under the visa-exempt nationals list. This document will allow you to do multiple visits to Canada for periods as long as six months.

An eTA is valid for five years, or until your passport expires. If your passport does expire, you will need to re-apply for the eTA.

Keep in mind: Having an eTA doesn’t necessarily mean that you will get into the country, this will be decided by the border services officer.

How to Apply for an eTA

Applying for an eTA is quite a simple process, and the whole application can easily be done online. However, if you are struggling to complete your application, there is a help document available in several languages that can be very helpful.

What you will need to complete your eTA form:

  • A valid passport from a visa-exempt country
  • A valid email address
  • A credit or debit card

Once you have started the application process, you will be obligated to finish it as the application cannot be done at another time. The process can be very time-sensitive and if people do struggle to finish, an extension for their session can be requested.

In most cases, after an application has been submitted, you will receive an approved email within minutes, containing your eTA number.

There are certain cases, however, where you will need to submit more documents before your application gets approved. If this does happen to you, an email containing instructions on what to do will be sent within 72 hours.

Keep in mind: A family looking to travel will need to submit an eTA application per family member.

FAQs: Temporary Resident Visa

What’s the difference between a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) and a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)?

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is a document issued by the visa office that confirms that you have met all the requirements to enter Canada as a temporary resident.

A Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) is a document that allows people who want to visit Canada, but can’t because they have been deemed inadmissible. This document will allow them to enter the country legally if they are able to provide a valid reason.

Do I need a Temporary visa to travel to Canada for a vacation?

It depends on which country you are from. You may need a Temporary Visa, or just an eTA to travel to Canada.

How do you extend your stay as a visitor in Canada?

In order to extend your stay in Canada, you need to apply for an extension 30 days before the expiry date of your stay. You can apply for an extension by completing the extension documents online.

Trying to receive a Canadian Temporary Resident Visa might seem like a hassle but the perks are that you will be able to travel through the country experiencing all that Canada has to offer. Whether you’re coming for the sake of travelling, coming to see family, or checking out the country before moving, there is no doubt that your Canadian experience will be a pleasant one. So what are you waiting for? Start your journey today.