Knowing how to get a visa for Canada from Malaysia is important, however, the type of visa you should get is also important. This is because Canada has over 100 visa programs for you to choose from. This works in your favour because regardless of the reason for travel there is a visa for it and it increases your chance of being eligible for a visa.
With Canada inviting over 1.2 million immigrants within the next three years, you want to make sure that you choose the correct visa type. By doing so, you reduce the chance of missing this great opportunity.
Although there are many programs available as mentioned, we’ve highlighted a few of the more popular immigration pathways.
Canada Visa Types and Requirements
If you are a skilled worker this visa option could be for you.
The Express Entry is an online immigration system that grants skilled workers the opportunity to apply for Canadian permanent residency. This happens through a draw pool of eligible applicants, draws can happen as frequently as every two weeks.
There are three federal immigration programs that Express Entry is made of. They are:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program
- Federal Skilled Trades Program
- Canadian Experience Class
The government will determine which of the three programs you are eligible for. This is done after you fill out a form that takes about 10 to 15 minutes. It’s important to be as accurate as possible when doing so.
By being a skilled worker and applying through Express Entry, you would be accelerating your move to Canada because of processing times being as little as six months. Making it one of the fastest immigration systems in Canada.
Good To Know
The Express Entry will contribute to 332,750 of the over 1.2 million total, with 105,500 invitations to apply ITA) being issued this year alone.
How Does the Express Entry System Work?
You will need to create your online profile. To complete this you’ll need the following:
- Your passport or travel document.
- Education credential assessment report.
- Language test results.
- Certificate of qualification in a trade occupation issued by a Canadian province or territory (if you have one).
- Proof of work experience (if you have one).
- Provincial Nomination (if you have one).
Important to know
You must complete and submit your online profile within 60 days. This could also be the difference between receiving an invitation to apply (ITA) or not. This is because of the tie-breaking rule. Which is if more than one candidate has the lowest score, the cut-off is based on the date and time they submitted their Express Entry profiles.
Once your profile is submitted, you’ll be placed into a pool with other eligible applicants. You’ll be given a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score which will determine your ranking in the pool.
To qualify for an ITA you’ll need to meet or exceed the CRS cut-off score. Each Express Entry draw has a different score to qualify for the ITA. Receiving an invitation to apply allows you to apply for permanent residency in Canada.
A really great aspect of the Express Entry is that if you aren’t successful for a certain draw you stay in the pool for one year. During this time you can improve your CRS score, possibly making you successful in the next draw.
What is the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS)?
The Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) is points-based and used by the Government to assess, score and rank all profiles in the Express Entry pool. Your CRS score will be determined by factors such as language, work experience, education and more.
Your total CRS score is made up of two sections. The core set of points is a total of 600 and the additional set of points of 600 points. This makes the maximum score 1,200 points.
The higher your CRS score the more likely you are to receive an invitation to apply.
Let’s have a look at yet another popular program, generally for younger individuals who want to study in Canada or perhaps someone who would like to further their studies in Canada. It is a leading country in education after all.
Canada Study Permit
The study permit is a document issued by the government to foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada. Now the study permit is not a visa, however, if you are approved for the study permit you’ll get a visitors visa issued to you as well.
What Are the Requirements for a Student Visa?
- being enrolled in a Designated Learning Institution(DLI)
- having enough money for your living expenses, to pay your tuition fees and money your return ticket for yourself and family members who come with you
- you should not have a criminal record
- you need to be in good health
- to show that you intend to leave Canada once your study permit expires
The study permit is usually valid for the length of your study program with an extra 90 days. The 90 days let you either prepare to leave Canada or apply for an extended stay.
A great way for a graduate to extend their stay in Canada is through the Post-Graduate Worker Permit Program.
What is the Post-Graduate Work Permit?
The Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) is for international students who have completed a qualification from a DLI. By obtaining a PGWP you will be able to work and live in Canada. You have 180 days after you get your final marks to apply.
With the PGWP you can work in Canada and are free to change jobs or locations within Canada. The work visa is valid for up to three years, depending on the length of the program.
You can apply for a PGWP if:
- your study permit is still valid
- you have a valid visitor record
- you have maintained full-time student status in Canada
- you applied to extend your study permit before it expired and no decision has been made on your application
- you studied program at a designated learning institution that was at least eight months long
By studying in Canada as an international student, you have a better chance of becoming a permanent resident. This is because you will gain valuable Canadian work experience, and therefore will be eligible to apply for the Canadian Experience Class program within Express Entry.
The temporary visa is also known as the Temporary Resident Visa. There are two different types of temporary resident visas, they are single-entry temporary visas and multiple temporary visas.
Single Entry Visa
- allows you to enter Canada once.
- an officer of the Canada Border Services Agency will make sure you meet the requirements to enter Canada.
- authorize your stay by placing a stamp in your passport or issuing an additional document, or both.
- If there is no stamp, handwritten date or document in your passport, your temporary resident status will expire six months from the day you arrived in Canada.
Multiple Temporary Visas
- enter Canada several times during the period while your visa is valid.
- allow you to enter and leave Canada repeatedly during the validity period of the visa.
- cannot get a multiple entry visa for a period that ends after the expiry date of your passport.
- plan to visit Canada frequently, a multiple entry visa is also recommended.
Why Canadian Visas Get Rejected
Although there could be several reasons why your visa application can get rejected. Here are a few common reasons.
- You haven’t supplied enough supporting documents - for example, your credentials showing that what you’re saying is true.
- Failure to meet health standards - you need to have an immigration medical exam done by a medical institution the government approves of.
- Proof of Funds -you need to provide sufficient proof that you will be able to support yourself and your dependents in Canada during your stay, regardless of the visa type.
How We Can Help You
Using our services will make your Canadian visa journey much easier. This is because CanadianVisa.org has a few things in place such as:
- Visa Profile Builder - Upload your information and supporting documents directly to your profile and track your visa application progress in real-time, all from the comfort of your own home.
- 24 Hour Support - you will have dedicated live 24-hour support as well as a designated case agent and RCIC.
- Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCIC) - licensed professionals who will handle your application. All of our RCICs have also been through the immigration process themselves and are motivated to help you.
- Quicker Turnaround Time - application process can be lengthy. Using our Visa Profile Builder you can upload everything to the portal and because we’re located in Canada we can get your application submitted quicker than most.
- Personal Student Advisor - our services include guidance and support from your personal student advisor who will not only help you complete your college submission but your motivation letter too, and once you’ve been accepted, we'll take care of your study permit too.
- Tailored Immigration Strategy - our services include an in-depth eligibility assessment, guidance on which of 100+ immigration programs and visas to choose from, a review and submission of all application forms and documentation and finally support through every step of the application process.
Overall we’ll ensure you are aware of all your options when it comes to knowing how to get a visa for Canada from Malaysia and increase the chances of success.