Did you know that 40% of all immigrants move to Ontario? As the country’s most populous province, Ontario is known as the multicultural hub of Canada. The capital city, Ottawa is found here and the world renown megacity, Toronto forms the heart of Ontario. Though known for its vibrant cities, the province is also a natural spectacle worth experiencing. There are more than 250,000 lakes in Ontario and 60% of the land is forested, which together create an incomparable natural landscape unique to the province.
Wondering how to immigrate to Ontario? We are here to help you. There are several routes you can take to make the province your home, including the Federal Skilled Worker and Provincial Nominee Program. We’ll match you with the option you are most likely to succeed with based on your unique profile.
Popular Routes to Ontario
As mentioned previously, there are many routes you can take in making Ontario your home. With thousands of immigrants coming to the province every year, the Government of Ontario needs to have a diverse and specialized immigration system in place to ensure the right candidates can successfully move to the region. The two most popular routes to Ontario are the Federal Skilled Worker Program and the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP).
Federal Skilled Worker Program
As the name implies, the Federal Skilled Worker Program is designed for skilled foreign workers who would like to immigrate to Canada. This Canadian immigration program was introduced to reinvigorate the country’s aging workforce with bright, young workers that can make a significant impact on the continued success of the economy.
There are several requirements you will have to meet in order to qualify for this program. In general, the minimum requirements are that you need to have enough skilled work experience, sufficient language ability in either English or French, and the appropriate qualifications for the occupation. If you meet these minimum requirements, your application will be assessed according to a 100 point grid which takes a look at your:
- Work Experience;
- English and French ability
- Adaptability; and
- Valid job offer if you have one
You need to score at least 67 in order to qualify.
The best part of this program is that it is managed by the Express Entry system, which means that your application will be processed faster. Once you have completed your Federal Skilled Worker Program application, you will need to create an online Express Entry profile that is again scored according to the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) so that it can be ranked against other candidates who would like to immigrate to Canada. Candidates with the highest CRS scores are routinely drawn from this pool of candidates for immigration to Canada.
If you are successful through the entire process, you will be invited to apply for Canadian permanent residence. This status will allow you to live and work anywhere in Canada, including Ontario.
Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program
Unlike the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Ontario Immigration Nominee Program is specific to the province, meaning you will have to settle in this particular province if you are successful with the program. This option will facilitate your immigration to Ontario faster and, depending on your unique background, the OINP may be your easier route to the province.
The OINP is one of several Provincial Nominee Programs, which allow the provinces and territories of Canada to invite candidates, who have the skills and experience they need in the region, to apply for a provincial nomination. Ontario has the most popular Nominee Program, leading 2018 with nearly 7,000 nominations which makes it one of your best options for Canadian immigration in 2019.
There are currently three categories for the OINP, the Human Capital Category, Employer Job Offer Category and the Business category. This is how to immigrate to Ontario using the Nominee Program.
Human Capital Category
The Human Capital Category has three Express Entry linked streams which allow the province to search through the Express Entry pool for candidates who have the skills and work experience to fill shortages in Ontario’s labour force. These three streams are designed for a wide array of candidates:
- The Human Capital Priorities Stream - for candidates who have the skills needed in the province and Express Entry profiles with more than 400 CRS points.
- French-Speaking Stream - for candidates who have Canadian Language Benchmark level 7 in French.
- Skilled Trades Stream - for candidates who have at least 12 months of work experience in a skilled trade in the province which they acquired within the last two years.
There are also two student streams under the Human Capital Category which are designed to retain international students who have graduated from qualifying tertiary institutions in Ontario for permanent residence in the province.
- Master’s Graduate Stream - master’s graduate students who qualify for this stream do not need to create an Express Entry profile nor do they need a job offer.
- PhD Graduate Streams - PhD graduate students who qualify for this stream do not need to create an Express Entry profile nor do they need a job offer.
Employer Job Offer Category
The Employer Job Offer Category is for candidates who have a job offer from an Ontario employer. These are the three streams under this category:
- Foreign Worker Stream - the job offer must for skilled position in National Occupational Classification (NOC) level 0, A or B and it must be accompanied with a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
- International Student Stream - the job offer must for skilled position in National Occupational Classification (NOC) level 0, A or B and you must have graduated from a qualifying tertiary program within the last two years.
- In-Demand Skills Stream - the job offer must be in the in-demand occupation list.
Candidates who want to start, buy or invest in a business in Ontario will find the Business Category to be of their liking.
- Corporate Stream - allows international corporations to expand into Ontario or buy an already existing enterprise.
- Entrepreneur Stream - for candidates who want to start a business or buy an existing business in the province.
These are the most popular routes you can follow to immigrate to Ontario in 2019. With our help, we will find the right pathway to Canada for you. Our team of expert Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants know the ins and outs of the Canadian immigration system to make sure your application stands the best chance of success. Sign up for our services today and we’ll get you on your way to Canada.