What Documents Need to be Translated or Verified for Canadian Immigration

When preparing for Canadian immigration, there are a few things you’ll need. Immigration programs for permanent residency in Canada have quite long lists of required documents, and some of them will require verification by an authority. A document checklist is always a good idea, as any missing information on your application could lead to it being rejected, which will require you to resubmit and that is a waste of your time.

It doesn’t matter which program you ultimately end up applying to in order to become a permanent resident through because the documents stipulated below will always be required, and some may also need to be translated or verified to be accepted by the Immigration Refugee Council of Canada (IRCC). If you would like your application to be handled by a skilled professional, who can instruct you step by step on which documents you’ll require and where you can have them verified or translated, follow the link below to start the process.

Application for Permanent Residency Document Requirements

Application for Permanent Residency-Canadian Immigration

Police Certificates

If you have a criminal record, you will not be eligible to migrate to Canada. To prove this you will need to obtain a police clearance certificate. It can often take quite some time to obtain this document so it is recommended that you apply for one as soon as you start the application process.

If you, or a family member who will be accompanying you to Canada, stayed in any other country for more than six months in a row over the past ten years, you will need to apply for police certificates from those countries as well. Police certificates are not required for dependents under the age of 18.

Your police certificate must be no older than six months and cannot be expired. For other countries you lived in, it will be accepted even if it is expired as long as it was issued after you departed said country. You do not need to translate the certificate, a scanned colour copy must just be uploaded or submitted with your application.

Medical Exam

You will require a medical exam from a panel physician which must be submitted with your application, and must also be valid at the time you enter Canada to start your new life. A panel physician is a doctor who has been given authority by the IRCC to perform immigration medical examinations. This means you cannot simply go to your local General Practitioner for a once over. Use this tool to locate the nearest panel physician in your country

Sometimes the physician will send the results directly to the Canadian immigration centre you are submitting your application through, other times they may provide the results to you. In this case, they must give you an information printout sheet as well as the IMM 1017B Upfront Medical Report form. Keep in mind that if your health would pose a danger to Canada’s public health and safety or if it is evident that you would cause too much demand on the health and social services system of Canada (healthcare is free to Canadian permanent residents), you may not be approved for permanent residency.

Northern Lights-Canadian Immigration

Proof of Funds

If you have a valid job offer and are authorized to work in Canada, meaning you have successfully obtained your temporary foreign work permit (TFWP), you will not need to submit proof of funds when applying for permanent residency. In all other circumstances some or other form of proof of funds will be required.

This table will show the minimum amount required per person when immigrating to Canada, however if you have more assets you should disclose this to the IRCC.

Settlement Funds
Number of Family MembersMinimum Amount Required
additional family members$3,492

The source of the funds must be verified, for example a stamped bank statement, and the funds must be readily available to you. You cannot count equity, such as property, in your proof of funds. The money cannot be borrowed, however if your spouse or partner is joining you, and you have a shared bank account, this is acceptable. You can also count money they have in their account if you can show you have access to this account. The statement or letter must come from a legitimate financial institution and:

  • Be printed on the financial institutions letterhead
  • Show their contact information, including a physical address, email address and telephone number
  • Include your name
  • Include any outstanding debts such as a credit card balance
  • Include, for each bank or investment account:
    • account numbers
    • date the account was opened
    • current balance of each account
    • average balance over the past six months

Education Credential Assessment Report

You will require at the very least an Education Credential Assessment (ECA) report for your high school certificate, in order to show that it is on par with a Canadian high school diploma. Following that it is vital that you have any and all your post-secondary certificates, diplomas and/or degrees evaluated by an independent third party.

The Canadian government and the IRCC favors qualified and educated individuals, and your efforts to improve yourself will count in your favor when applying for permanent residency. Certain programs, such as the Federal Skilled Worker Program, have minimum qualification requirements, while for others it may simply add more points to your application score, making you a more attractive candidate.

Your assessment must be done by a organization or body that has been designated by the IRCC:

  • Comparative Education Service – University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies
  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada
  • World Education Services
  • International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
  • International Credential Evaluation Service
  • Medical Council of Canada (professional body for doctors)
  • Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (professional body for pharmacists)

Language Test Results

To immigrate to Canada, you will have to show you have a certain level of proficiency in either English or French, depending on the program you are applying to. For this you must take a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) test at one of the approved centers in your country. The results must be no older than two years and are acceptable language tests are:

  • CELPIP: Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program
  • IELTS: International English Language Testing System
  • TEF Canada: Test d’évaluation de français
  • TCF Canada: Test de connaissance du français

And finally of course you must hold a valid passport or travel document. Are you ready to start the process, do you need a little assistance?

How We Make Immigration Simple

CanadianVisa.org-Trusted Immigration Consultants

The admin side of immigration can be overwhelming and somewhat deterring. By using our accredited Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) you will not only improve your chances of success in the visa application process, but you will get expert advice on which program is best for your specific needs. Our RCICs are highly qualified and are granted permission by the ICCRC to assist you with your eligibility evaluation, review all your documents and application forms and submit them to the Canadian government for you. Why take the chance of having your application denied because your forms are incorrect or sent in too late.

We take care of the paperwork while you start planning your life in Canada. All you have to do is complete our application form to receive your eligibility assessment today. It's just that simple.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn for up to date information and interesting blog posts on Canadian Immigration.