Immigrate to Canada without a Degree

 Canada famously has a very large portion of the adult population who hold university qualifications, nearly 30%. But really all this means is there is a massive amount of opportunity in industries and positions that don’t require formal education, from trades to semi-skilled jobs.

The National Occupation Classification System

Canadian immigration uses the National Occupation Classification (NOC) system to categorize the thousands of various occupations for their different immigration programs. Occupations are separated into four categories based on the type of training required for the jobs in each category:

National Occupations Category
Amanagerial and professional jobs that require a minimum of three years of formal training, ie a university degree
Bskilled occupations that require formal training, ie trades workers
Coccupations that require a high school diploma, on the job training and some form of certification ie truck drivers
Doccupations that require a high school diploma and on the job training ie general workers

Immigration Options

The Express Entry system has an immigration stream dedicated to all the occupations that fall into category B of the NOC; the Skilled Trades Program. For this program you must be a certified journeyman and have at least two years of experience working in your occupation. With the help of a regulated immigration consultant you could be a permanent resident of Canada in as little as 6 months through this program.

Atlantic Immigration Pilot

If your occupation lies in category B or C of the NOC, the provinces of Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland & Labrador, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia want you. These four Atlanic Provinces are supplementing their labour pool in all sectors and the Semi-Skilled Worker Program creates the opportunity for foreigners with job offers listed under category B and C of the NOC to apply for permanent residency in Canada.

Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot

Under this immigration pilot, your NOC doesn’t mean a thing. All you have to do is secure a job in one of the participating communities and that community will motivate your application for permanent residency to the Canadian government.

Am I Eligible?

That is the million dollar question. In order for your application for permanent residency to be considered, you must be eligible for the program you apply to. Eligibility depends on a variety of factors from age and health to skills and experience. Enlisting the services of an Immigration Consultant will give you a head start, as you will be able to find out not only which immigration programs you are eligible for, but they can also guide you through the immigration process. Just remember only a licensed Canadian immigration consultant or lawyer in good standing with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) is legally allowed to assist you with your application. If your application is submitted to the Immigration and Refugee Council of Canada (IRCC) by anyone other than yourself or a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC), it will be immediately rejected.