If you’re from Ghana and want to live and work in Canada, you’ll be glad to discover that there are various ways to do so and that so many people have done it before. Did you know that there are currently around 60,000 Ghanaians living in Canada?
Most Ghanaian immigrants have chosen to call Toronto, Montreal, or Manitoba their home, but many Ghanaians have settled throughout the country.
If you want to know how to get a Canada work visa from Ghana, have a look at these work permit programs you can apply through.
The Express Entry system was developed to allow Canada to meet its labour market needs by hiring foreign workers to fill in-demand jobs in the country. Because a large portion of Canada’s population is nearing retirement, foreign workers are needed to help maintain economic growth.
Express Entry is a popular pathway to Canada because of its rapid application processing time of only six months. If you’re successful, you could live and work in Canada in no time.
Express Entry has three programs, namely:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)
- Federal Skilled Trades Program(FSTP)
- Canadian Experience Class(CEC)
If you want to get a Canada work visa from Ghana, you should focus on the Federal Skilled Worker Program or the Federal Skilled Trades Program.
Each of these programs has its own set of criteria.
Here are the requirements you need to meet to apply through the Federal Skilled Worker Program:
Skilled work experience
- Have at least 1 year of skilled work experience that you have obtained in the last 10 years
- This must be continuous full-time work experience or:
- A part-time job amounting to the same hours
- Work experience must be in a skilled occupation classified as Skill Level 0, A, or B of Canada’s National Occupational Classification (NOC) list
- Demonstrate that you are proficient in the English language by passing a test known as the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7
- You must provide your results issued to you from an IRCC-designated language-testing organization
- Provide either a Canadian educational credential or:
- A foreign educational credential
- You will need to provide an Educational Credential Assessment report to prove that your certificate, diploma or degree is equivalent to a Canadian credential
- You must be legally allowed to enter Canada
If you meet all the requirements, your application will be assessed based on selection factors in the federal skilled worker points grid.
Although these programs sound similar, the Federal Skilled Trades Program has its own unique set of requirements:
Atlantic Immigration Pilot
The Atlantic Immigration Pilot is designed for skilled workers who are seeking permanent residence in one of Canada’s four Atlantic provinces, namely: Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The pilot is also open to foreign graduates who have completed their studies in one of these four provinces.
The Atlantic immigration pilot has three different programs, namely: Atlantic international graduate program, Atlantic high-skilled program and the Atlantic intermediate-skilled program.
The key to boosting your chances of a successful application is to apply through the program that best suits your needs.
Each program has its own requirements. It’s important to check that you meet the requirements before applying. Here is an overview of the different programs and their requirements.
Atlantic International Graduate Program
To qualify for this program, you must have:
- Obtained a qualification from a public institution in one of Canada’s Atlantic provinces
- Lived in the province for at least 16 months in the last two years before attaining your qualification
- You will need to take a language test, regardless of the language you had completed your studies in
- You must provide proof that you’ll be able to support yourself and any dependents that will be accompanying you
Atlantic High-Skilled Program
To apply for this program, you must have
- At least 1 year of experience working in a management, professional or skilled job
- A foreign degree or diploma that is equal to a Canadian credential. For this, you will need an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report done
- You will need to take an approved language test to prove that you are proficient enough in the English and/or French language, to be able to work and live in Canada
- You’ll need to provide proof that your financial resources meet the minimum amount required to support yourself in Canada, as well as any dependents, whether they are accompanying you to Canada or not
Atlantic Intermediate-Skilled Program
To apply for this program you need to:
- Have at least 1 year’s experience working in a position that requires either a high school education or job-specific training
- Have a high school diploma that is equal to a Canadian credential. For this, you will need an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report
- Take an approved language test to prove that you are proficient enough in English and/or French to live and work in Canada
- You will need to prove that your finances meet the minimum required amount to be able to support yourself and any dependents, whether they are accompanying you to Canada or not
Home Care Provider Pilot
If you’re passionate about helping people, then this option is for you. The Home Care Provider Pilot could be how you can get a Canada work visa from Ghana.
The Home Care Provider Pilot has two programs: the Home Support Worker and the Home Child Care Provider.
These programs give caregivers the opportunity to obtain permanent residency in Canada once they have worked in Canada for two years. What’s more, the pilot also allows for family members to work or study in Canada while you gain work experience.
What is the role of a Home Support Worker?
Home support workers help seniors, people with disabilities, and people in rehabilitation by providing personal care and support during vulnerable periods such as recovery, incapacitation and family disruption.
- Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing meals
- Changing dressings
- Administering medications
- And other general housekeeping duties
Care will take place at the employer/client’s home, and the home support worker may be required to live in the home.
As a home support worker, you may also be required to care for children. However, it won’t be your main responsibility.
Who can apply for the Home Care Provider Pilot?
The Home Support Worker and the Home Child Care Provider each have their own set of criteria you need to meet if you want to apply:
To apply for the Home Support Worker program, you need to currently hold one of the following job titles:
- Family caregiver
- Home support worker
- Attendants for persons with disabilities - home care
- Live-in caregiver for senior citizens
- Personal aide - home support
- Personal care attendant - home care
- Respite worker - home support
- Doula; and
- Home visitor - infant care
What is the role of a Home Child Care Provider?
Home child care providers help parents take care of their children and may also be required to assist with household duties.
Care can be provided either in your own home or in your employer’s home.
This is what makes the Home Child Care Provider different from the Live-in Caregiver Program, which requires you to live in the employer’s home.
Who can apply for the Home Child Care Provider
To apply for the Home Child Care Provider, you need to hold one of the following job titles:
- Au pair
- Child care live-in-caregiver
- Child care provider - private home
- Parent’s helper
- Foster parent
- Babysitter - shopping center and:
- Babysitter - fitness center
One last thing!
You may be able to apply for the Home Child Care Pilot or the Home Support Worker Pilot if you have an official job offer from a Canadian employer. The employment offer must confirm the following:
- That the position is full-time and you will be working at least 30 hours per week
- Evidence needs to be provided to prove that there is a true need to hire you as a caregiver (for example, proof of a school-aged child or a person with medical needs in the home
- The offer may not be for work in the province of Quebec
Once you’ve made a choice on how to get your Canada work visa from Ghana, instead of taking on the application process by yourself, let us make it easier and guide you step by step.