Even through the pandemic, Canada’s economy is steadily climbing and growing. The job market in Canada has always been frugal and even more so now with the economy constantly expanding, creating new job opportunities.
Canada treats foreign national workers as they do residents, this means you’ll practice a healthy work-life balance, receive paid parental leave for both parents and healthcare plans. If you’d like to be part of the Canadian workforce, continue reading to learn how to get a Canadian work permit from Malaysia.
3 Steps to Obtaining a Canadian Work Visa
1. Choose a visa that works for you
The Canadian work visa will allow you as a foreign national to work in Canada legally. The two main visas obtained in Canada are:
- Open work permit - with this visa you’ll be able to work anywhere in Canada and for any Canadian employer. For this visa, you’re also exempt from needing a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
- Employer-specific work permit - with this visa you’ll be able to work in Canada under specific conditions such as your employer and position.
Get a Canadian open work permit through the following:
The open work permit can be obtained through the International Mobility Program (IMP). Canadian employers do prefer this program because you won’t need an LMIA in order to be hired by them. The IMP is also known for its quick and easy process, which is great as work permits tend to be complex when doing it on your own.
A program that falls under the IMP is the Post-Graduation Work Permit.
Post-Graduation Work Permit
If you’re planning on studying in Canada, then you can continue living and working in Canada via the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). The PGWP allows you to work in Canada with an open work visa, meaning you are free to work for any employer and in any province or territory of Canada.
To be eligible for the PGWP, you’ll need to meet the following requirements:
- Have completed an academic, vocational, or professional training program at an eligible institution in Canada for at least eight months leading to a degree, diploma, or degree;
- Be a full-time student;
- Have a transcript and official letter from an eligible Designated Learning Institution (DLI) confirming that you have met the requirements of the program; and
- Have or had a valid study permit or had the authorization to study without a study permit.
Good to know:
Your permit can be valid for up to three years, all depending on the length of your study program.
Get a Canadian employer-specific work permit through the following:
One way to get this visa, also known as a closed permit, is through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP). The TFWP aims to bring new skills and knowledge to Canada in order for the economy to grow. Canadian employers can hire foreign skilled individuals through the TFWP. The Global Talent Stream is a program in which you can get a closed work permit, as it falls under the TFWP.
Global Talent Stream
The Global Talent Stream (GTS) provides Canadian employers with a quicker way to hire highly-skilled foreign talent, only when permanent residents or Canadian citizens aren’t available. Canadian employers will need to provide a Labour Market Benefits Plan, which shows a layout as to how the employer will create benefits for the Canadian labour market through:
- job creation;
- investment in training and skills development; or
- or transfer of knowledge to Canadians.; and
The Global Talent Stream is available to two categories of employers:
Category A: This category is for employers who have been referred to the Global Talent Stream by one of the stream’s designated partners. This will only happen if the employer proves the need for unique and specialized temporary foreign workers in order to grow.
Category B: This category is for employers looking to hire highly-skilled foreign workers to fill positions for in-demand jobs in Canada found on the Global Talent Occupations List.
This is a great way to < strong >get a Canadian work permit from Malaysia, as the processing time can be as short as two weeks!
Step 2: Check your eligibility to work in Canada
Depending on which work permit you are applying for, your list of requirements will change. However, regardless of where you apply or which type of work visa you apply for, there is a list of requirements that all foreign nationals need to meet:
- prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your work permit expires;
- show that you have enough money to take care of yourself and your family members during your stay in Canada and to return home;
- obey the law and have no record of criminal activity (you may be required to give a police clearance certificate);
- not be a danger to Canada’s security;
- be in good health and have a medical exam, if needed;
- not plan to work for an employer listed with the status “ineligible” on the list of employers who failed to comply with the conditions;
- not plan to work for an employer who, regularly, offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages; and
- give the officer any other documents they ask for to prove you can enter the country.
Step 3: Submit your application
You’ll need to submit your work visa application to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Malaysians can either apply online or via a paper-based application. However, using our services simplify the process even further, as the Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) we work with:
- will inform you of the exact documents you need for your application; and
- can submit your application on your behalf.
FAQ 1: What jobs are in demand in Canada for immigrants?
|In-Demand Job in Canada 2021|
|6211||Retail Sales supervisor|
|6235||Financial Sales representative|
|2171||Information system analysts and consultants|
|4162||Economists and economic policy research and analysts|
|3414||Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates|
|8412||Oil and gas well drilling and related workers and services operators|
|2241||Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians|
FAQ 2: What is a good salary in Canada?
The average good salary in Canada is $38,513 per year or $19.75 per hour. Entry-level positions start at $29,250 per year, while most experienced workers make up to $90,714 per year.
FAQ 3: What is the cost of Canadian work permits?
|Work Permit Cost in Canada|
|Work permit (including extensions) – per person||$155|
|Work permit (including extensions) – per group (3 or more performing artists)||$465|
|Open work permit holder||$100|
|Restore your status as a worker ($200) and get a new work permit ($155)||$355|
|Biometrics - per person||$85|
|Biometrics - per family (2 or more people)||$170|
Living and Working in Canada as a Malaysian
More than half of the Malaysian population living in Canada are located in Ontario. Ontario has one of the highest minimum wages of the provinces at $14.35. According to Neuvoo, if you work in Ontario you can earn one of the highest salaries in the entire country.
Beyond the generous salary, working in Canada has many other benefits such as health care spending accounts and the opportunity to become a Canadian permanent resident via the Canadian Experience Class which falls under Express Entry.
Start your journey today and get a Canadian work permit from Malaysia.