Immigration fraud is one of the internet's most common crimes. It’s too easy for scam artists to win over trusting people who are looking to start a better life in a new country. Canada is unfortunately no exception to these kinds of criminals as a recent case showed. Two men in Winnipeg, Canada have been charged with a number of immigration fraud charges for taking thousands of dollars from foreigners who believed the men were assisting them with their Canadian immigration applications. The men are scheduled to appear in court this month after leaving their ‘clients’ with nothing but a deep whole in their bank accounts and a potential ban on being able to apply for permanent residency for five years. The two men, Chinenye Alozie and Zhiahao Jia, who acted separately, defrauded hopeful potential immigrants of between $15,000 and $20,000 each. The victims found these fraudsters in scum immigration sites pretending to be the real deal. Their charges include:
Impersonating immigration consultants
Legitimate immigration consulting companies such as CanadianVisa.org are led by Regulated Immigration Consultants (RCIC’s). To be eligible to practice as a licensed RCIC, you must be in good standing with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). Every consultant has a dedicated number, which can be searched and confirmed on the ICCRC’s website database. When engaging the services of a Canadian immigration consultancy, always confirm the RCIC’s details match those on the website.
Advising clients to misrepresent themselves on their applications
While it is good to represent yourself as best as possible in your immigration application, no legitimate immigration consultant would ever recommend you provide false information to make your application more appealing. Unlicensed consultants from scum sites do not care about the repercussions of misrepresentation when they assist you with your application, likely because they don’t even know what they are. Aside from simply having your application refused, you could end up being barred from Canada for anything between five years and always. You could even be charged with fraud in the long run.
When visiting an immigration company’s webpage, always do these simple checks to give you peace of mind before proceeding any further:
- The first and most important rule, if it seems too good to be true, it is. Look out for companies that claim they can achieve a desired result quicker, or that can guarantee success. Processing applications takes the time it takes and no outcome can be guaranteed.
- The Padlock or HTTPS in the Address Bar, this shows a site is at least secure.
- If there is a charge for visa forms.
- Do an online search on the immigration site, if there are a lot of complaints and negative reviews with no positive ones, you should proceed with caution as you may be dealing with a scum site.
- Keep your web browser up to date, web browsers have filters that detect harmful sites.
- Use who.is to check how long a web page has been online. Scam pages usually pop up and disappear frequently. When too many people give them negative reviews, scammers take down their scum sites and just replace them with new ones.
- Social media presence is always very important. Look up a company’s social media profiles, they should have a long history of sharing information and engaging with customers and visitors on their pages.
Why Using Reputable Immigration Services is Important
Navigating the Canadian immigration system can be complicated, and no one should have to wonder whether the Canadian Visa company they are dealing with is real or fake. We not only suggest but actively encourage all our clients to check our legitimacy with the Canadian government and the ICCRC, but also to ensure that they are 100% comfortable with our services and what we offer before you allow us to take that first step with you on your Canadian journey.
There are a large number of forms to be completed supported by documents to back up your educational and experience claims. While it may be tempting to say something that enhances your image, we advise no one to day anything they cannot physically back up.
At Canadian Visa, we take the stress and hassle out of planning to relocate abroad. Our accredited RCICs (Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants) are ready to evaluate your eligibility, review all documentation and submit all documentation on your behalf. Using an RCIC not only gives you the best possible chance of receiving an ITA but will make the entire process simple and stress-free.
Allow us to take care of the paperwork while you secure your dream job in Canada. All you have to do is complete our online form and we’ll take care of the rest. It's just that simple.
If you feel like you may have been taken advantage of in the past, the Canadian Anti-Fraud immigration department is constantly cracking down on these cases. You can make an official report to the Canadian government online or telephonically.