If you’re from the United States of America and would like to set foot on foreign soil for a break away, why not choose Canada?
Firstly, it's not too far but truly feels like a world of its own because of its beauty. It’s the perfect place to gather a breath of fresh air, with big blue mountains, rolling hills, and one of the world’s biggest waterfalls; Niagara Falls.
That’s not all. If you prefer hustle and bustle, there’s a spot for you too. Many cities like Toronto, for example, offer a vibrant nightlife and social scene.
Whether you want to go on a working holiday or simply want to tour, we’ve got you covered. Here’s how to get a Canada visa from USA in 2022.
Visit Canada in 2022
The Canadian government welcomes immigrants who wish to work and settle in the country and also embraces those who simply want to visit. To make it easier to immigrate or tour, the Canadian government has developed a number of immigration and visa programs to apply through.Most travellers who want to visit Canada will either need a tourist (visitor) visa or an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA). If you're a US citizen you'll simply need a valid passport and form of identification to enter Canada. However, if you're a US permanent resident, you’ll need to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).
Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
An eTA creates an electronic link with your passport. If you get a valid eTA before you arrive in Canada, you’ll be able to enter the country by road through the border, or if you are flying by plane from the U.S., then the eTA will let you board the plane.
With an eTA you’ll be able to stay in Canada for up to six months, in which time you can travel and enjoy all the splendor the country has to offer. You can find a simple step-by-step guide to successfully getting an eTA here.
Here are 4 tips you should know about the eTA:
- You should consider applying for an eTA before you book your flights
- Your eTA will be valid for five years or until your passport expires
- Just because you've applied, it doesn’t mean you’ll automatically be let in
- At immigration control , you’ll have to show you’re allowed to enter the country.
What documents do I need?
- Valid passport
- Travel information
- COVID-19 Assessment Checklist
- Proof of Vaccination
- Negative COVID-19 Test
Check out your eTA status on the government website and be one step closer to your holiday in Canada
Another way for you to work in Canada for shorter periods of time is through a Business Visitor Visa. If you intend to be in Canada for a short time, simply to conduct business such as sign documents, attend meetings or make deals, then this might be the perfect visa for you. You can apply for a Business Visitor Visa through an eTA and declare your intentions.
Prove that you’re only in Canada for business
- You don’t intend to stay more than 6 months
- You don’t want to be a part of the Canadian labour market
- Your place of business and main income is outside of Canada
- Valid Passport
- Provide your biometric information
- Sufficient money (proof of funds) to sustain your trip
- Have a clear criminal record
- A clear medical certificate
Canada United States Mexico Agreement (CUSMA)LMIA) to find a job. This process is usually costly and takes time. The second benefit to this program is that you can obtain a visa at a Canadian port of entry, that is, on the border or at the airport. There are four sections that assist in employment searches for people working in agriculture, digital trade and the automotive industry.
Categories for CUSMA
- CUSMA Professionals
- CUSMA Intra-Company Transfers
- CUSMA Traders
- CUSMA Investors
Temporary Work Permit
If you want to work in Canada for longer than six months, you’ll have to apply for a Temporary Foreign Workers Permit (TFWP). Temporary workers in Canada can either get an open work permit or closed work permit.
If you receive an open work permit, you can work anywhere in Canada for any employer.
However, if you have a closed work permit, you may only work for a specific employer in a specific field and location.
To qualify for a TFWP:
- Get a job offer in Canada
- Get an LMIA
- Complete a medical exam
- Provide a police clearance
Working Holiday Visa (WHV)
If you’re interested in working abroad for some time but also want to explore, you don’t have to pick one. You can have both with a Canadian working holiday visa.
The Working Holiday Visa (WHV) is part of the International Experience Canada (IEC) and is available to citizens of 35 countries.
The Working Holiday Visa is a temporary open work permit that lasts between 12 and 24 months, depending on your country of origin.
A working holiday visa allows you to work in Canada on a part time basis while going on adventures around Canada.
Interested? To be eligible to apply for a Canadian working holiday visa, you need to meet the set of criteria:
- Have a valid passport;
- Be a part of the 35 participating countries;
- Aged 18-35 (the cut-off is 30 for certain countries);
- $2,500 to cover initial expenses;
- Health insurance;
- Police clearance certificate;
- Round-trip ticket or sufficient funds to cover one; and
- No dependents
It gets better! There’s only two steps to applying for a Canadian working holiday visa!
- Step 1: Create an online profile where you’ll be asked questions based on the criteria listed above
- Step 2: Wait for the draw to take place where you will need to receive an invitation. You need to complete your profile within 10 days of receiving this invitation
- Step 3: Submit an application within 20 days of receiving your ITA (Invitation to Apply)
If you decide that the working holiday visa is the pathway for you, you might want some ideas of jobs to do while you’re over here. Here are a few:
- Farms and ranches
- Ski resorts that offer instructor positions or hotel work;
- Summer camp guides and instructors; and
- Retail and delivery work
Still deciding whether to get a Canada visa from USA? Check out what’s waiting for you!
Why Visit Canada?
Canada has a range of beautiful natural sights such as mountain ranges, lakes, and beautiful coastlines. Canada’s most popular attractions include Niagara falls which attracts locals and tourists alike.
Events and Festivals
Apart from natural attractions, Canada also offers a social scene for those who like a party. Here are some events hosted in Canada:
- Celebration of Light, Vancouver (largest fireworks competition in the world)
- Calgary Stampede
- Edmonton Folk Music Festival
- Toronto International Film Festival
- Quebec Winter Carnival, Quebec City
- Celtic Colours International Festival, Nova Scotia
- Pride parades in various provinces
Canada is home to people from around the world. The country celebrates its diverse nature and over languages are spoken. The province of Quebec is rich with French heritage and classic French style architecture that will make you feel like you’re taking a walk into history.
How long does it take to get a Canada visa from USA?
The Canada visa processing time varies for each specific case. It can take anywhere between two to four weeks, or even longer. Your Canadian application is processed only after the Canadian authorities have received your complete application.
How do I know my Canada visa is approved?
If you’ve applied for your visa application through post, you’ll notice an “approved’ stamp on your passport. This means that your Visa has been approved and now you can move to Canada.
What is a visa number on a Canada visa?
You will find a number in the top right corner of your Confirmation of Permanent Residence document which would have been issued to you by a Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada office or by the visa office where you submitted your application.
Regardless of which visa you choose to apply for, the visa application process can be complex to navigate alone. That’s why the RCICs we work with are here to help guide you through and improve your chances of being approved.